Thread: Can't enter password in Safe Mode

Default Can't enter password in Safe Mode

Hi,

I am having a bit of a problem here. I picked up a nasty virus the other day -- Fraud.Sysguard. I removed it, but I still have a problem with the keyboard not working properly. Specifically, when I go into Safe Mode, the keyboard will not work when I try to key in the password for any user. Therefore I can't go into Safe Mode. The only thing I can do is shutdown.

Also, when I log off in normal mode and then try to log back on as the same or different user the keyboard will not work to key in a password.

Other than that, the keyboard works fine. I didn't have this problem until the virus appeared, so I think it's left over from the cleaning. Any ideas of how to fix this?
    Thanks,
    Paul

Default More Information . . .

I am running Windows XP Professional SP3. I go into Safe Mode from power on using the F8 key. Whether I select Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking it is the same . . . the log on screen appears with the vertical cursor, but it will not accept any keyboard input. The mouse does work, however.

The other problem with logging off and logging back on has started working again. That is puzzling.

I've checked the cable connections, thinking that might be the problem, but they are tight. I don't think it's the keyboard because I only have the problem when trying to enter the password in Safe Mode. I would appreciate any help that you could give me.
    Thanks,
    PJ

Are you using a USB keyboard?
    Have you been able to go into your computer in safe mode before?Or is this the first time you've tried logging into your computer in safe mode?

It has always worked fine before. Been into Safe Mode several times. It is not a USB keyboard; it is a PS/2 Keyboard. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Paul Jacobson; 2010-08-13 at 07:13. Reason: Clarify that it is a PS/2 keyboard

You're welcome.
    I'm not 100% sure on this,where you are stuck at the password screen,but from what I'm seeing I think it's possible that the registry subkey for your keyboard when booting into safe mode might have been removed or corrupted.

However,I'm not sure what would have been causing this problem,where your keyboard is working fine otherwise,(other than the safe mode problem):
    Also, when I log off in normal mode and then try to log back on as the same or different user the keyboard will not work to key in a password.
    So,you might want to get checked out in the malware removal forum.

The procedures to follow are here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Malware Removal:
    http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22

The helpers in there also have experience with a tool that can probably easily repair your safe mode problems,I believe,so you could mention the keyboard problem in your opening post,or link to this topic,if you'd like.

I've started a new thread in Malware Removal:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=59009

Thanks again for all your help!
    PJ

You're welcome.
    Good luck in malware removal.