Thread: XP SP3 Crashing

Unhappy XP SP3 Crashing

Hi I need some help I ran spybot and after everything was fine, it found a couple things and deleted them. I rebooted my pc and now it wont boot up ive tried safe mode, SM with networking everything still wont boot. It just reboots it self goes to window as if it is about to load but seems like crashing then reboots. I am able to see every thing I had on this HDD luckily I had another HDD with XP on it but I want to use what I had B4 any suggestions would be great.
    Please Help THX in advance

Hello,

We are sorry that this has happened. Do you have the Windows XP installation disk or a recovery disk for your Windows system?

It seems that you may have a corrupted boot sector. Spybot-S&D normally does not make any changes in the boot sector so we wonder what could have caused this.

If this don't fix the problem you can also use the recovery console to re-write the boot sector.

The command fixboot is the one which you should use.

Or you try to start Windows in safe mode again.

This time please use the menu option:
    -Enable Boot Logging

Later you will need a boot medium for replacing damaged files. Here are three examples which you can use:

Ubuntu

Knoppix

Windows PE

Further please have a look at this link in our forum.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Esteemed Member

If the problem is not yet resolved, you want to stop it from automatically rebboting, so that you will be able to read the 'blue screen of death' that will contain information about why it crashed.

To do that, restart your PC, tap F8 repeatedly and you should get to the boot options menu. Highlight the option 'turn off automatically restart on failure' (mybe not quite the correct wording, but something like that), press enter. Then try a restart in normal mode. It will crash, presumably, but you should now see the blue screen. Post the information.

Also, on the boot options screen, have you tried last known good?

Ok well its fixed I was looking at some other forums and for some reason It was caused possibly by Bit Defender I replaced "msvcrt.dll" in windows/system32 folder Works Like a Charm thank for your quick response.