Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Computer has been gut-punched

Emeritus

I didnt recognize any malware in the logs you posted. You can uninstall musicmatch via the add/remove programs panel if you dont use it. I was suggesting that having a lot of icons could tie up system resources. If all you see is the musicmatch icon then your good. You do want your antivirus running. You should get one installed if you havent yet. Do you have auto updates turned on for Windows or have you been to Winodws Update recently? Looks like your running IE 6.0.

I've heard people say the best anti-virus is kapersky? Any thoughts?

For free antivirus, which do you prefer? I will likely dump Macafee on this machine for something that doesn't use so many resources.

Even as i am typing this, the system is stalling like something is running in the background and i turned off macafee's auto-download updates feature, so i have no idea what is doing to slow down my computer. Is there anyway to check to see what is running in the background that would be slowing down my browsing experience?

I know that i often get the windows updates so it must be turned on. I've been given the occasional notice to upgrade IE, but i was afraid a newer version would require even more resources to run. Your thoughts?

Emeritus

I have never used Kapersky. I really dont have a opinion on which AV is best. Some might have 30 day trial versions that you could try out if you wanted to.

To see what might be running you can bring up task manager by hitting ctrl-alt-delete keys at once. Check under the Process list. Some of it will be normal Window processes that need to be running. you might recognize some others. You can post a screen shot of it or write it down and post it.

You can set IE back to its defaults which will disable any toolbars or plugins that may be installed.
    With IE open tools>internet options>Advanced tab> look for a reset button to restore IE back to its default. Maybe be slightly different in version 6.0.

Shelf life

Attached is a jpeg screenshot of my resources. Some of the major consumers look like they might be mcafee, but clearly others are explorer. Can you please look through the list and let me know if you see anything that strikes you as overly consumptive or unnecessary? Seems like explorer and macafee take up a lot of resources.

I will look into restoring IE to default. Do you think it would be a problem if i ran the newest version of IE? Essentially, is it better to be running the older version from a "resource protecting" perspective?

Emeritus

I thought you had uninstalled Mcafee? If you did you shouldn't be seeing any of it in task manager. Explorer.exe is Windows Graphical interface. iexplore.exe is Internet explorer. The memory usage by each one dosnt seem excessive to me. Most of the others are Windows processes. Dosnt look like theres much of anything else.

I couldnt tell you if IE 8 would be lighter on resources or not, usually new versions just get more bloated with new releases so I would bet no it wouldnt be lighter on resources. Have you tried FireFox, Chrome or Opera browsers. you can have and use more than one browser
    Have you ever defragged your hard drive?

You can get another check for malware online if you want:
    ESET online scanner:

http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/

uses Internet Explorer only
    check "YES" to accept terms
    click start button
    allow the ActiveX component to install
    click the start button. the Scanner will update.
    check both "Remove found threats" and "Scan unwanted applications"
    click scan
    when done you can find the scan log at:C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
    please copy/paste that log in next reply.

Shelf life

I hadn't uninstalled McAfee just yet - I just turned off all its features while you were working with me through all the clean up programs. I turned the features back on the other day as I began to browse and check the system's speed.

After we're done, I will see which free and resource friendly AV appears best for this computer, download it and then uninstall McAfee.

I have never tried any of the other browsers you mentioned. Which one do you recommend and where could i find it? Will running two browsers slow down my machine though?

I don't believe i have defragged in a long, long, long, long time. And i am not sure how to do it.

Below is a copy of the ESET log, i don't believe it found any problems.

ESETSmartInstaller@High as CAB hook log:
    OnlineScanner.ocx - registred OK
    # version=7
    # iexplore.exe=6.00.2900.5512 (xpsp.080413-2105)
    # OnlineScanner.ocx=1.0.0.6211
    # api_version=3.0.2
    # EOSSerial=8f01b6e84a9db948b253693b8d03b100
    # end=finished
    # remove_checked=true
    # archives_checked=false
    # unwanted_checked=true
    # unsafe_checked=false
    # antistealth_checked=true
    # utc_time=2010-09-09 05:44:34
    # local_time=2010-09-08 10:44:34 (-0800, Pacific Daylight Time)
    # country="United States"
    # lang=1033
    # osver=5.1.2600 NT Service Pack 3
    # compatibility_mode=5121 16777173 100 75 3220917 13147984 0 0
    # compatibility_mode=8192 67108863 100 0 0 0 0 0
    # scanned=109347
    # found=0
    # cleaned=0
    # scan_time=6444

Emeritus

the ESET log cant look any better. You can get ATFCleaner, which you can keep and use occasionally. It will tidy things up some:

Please download ATFCleaner by Atribune to your desktop.
    Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
    Under Main choose: Select All
    Click the Empty Selected button.

For a defrag go to start>programs>accessories>system tools>disk defragmenter.
    In the main window chose your drive (usually C) and click the defragment button.

A Link for FireFox version 3.6.9
    download the .exe to your desktop, double click to install firefox. It will create a icon on your desktop. Once its installed you can delete the original .exe from your desktop. It can, during the install import your favorites from IE. Two browsers wont slow your machine down.

Thank you for all your help Shelf life.

I assume ATF cleaner is sort of like CCleaner?

I guess i don't have any more questions - does that wrap up our session? I really do appreciate your assistance.

Emeritus

Your Welcome. CCleaner has more features but it is similar in that it deletes temp files etc. You can keep both or one or the other if you want.
    You can remove combofix like this;

start>run and type in combofix /uninstall
    click ok or enter
    note there is a space after the x and before the /

You can delete the the rootrepeal icon form your desktop.

Note the free version of malwarebyes must be updated manually and a scan started manually. It dosnt run in the background.

Some links to free AV:
    Avast
    AVG free version
    Avira
    PCtools AV

Iam sure some of the paid AV's will have 30 day trial versions you could try if you wanted.

If you try another, download the file to your desktop. Before you install it uninstall your current AV via the add/remove programs panel reboot if prompted then double click the new AV file to start its install process.

I dont mind questions. As far as I can tell you are malware free. I can keep the thread open for a while if you want.

Thank you Shelf life

Yes, please keep it open for a few days as I process some of the suggestions you posted above.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by tashi; 2010-09-30 at 08:13. Reason: Date of archive