Thread: The application has changed since it was created

Default The application has changed since it was created

Got above error to start with then when I run scan it looks for 895,000 some objects. Gets to that number but rather than saying completed keeps on going and going to well over a million. If I manually stop it it finds nothing. Could malware be doing this?

Also just in case someone has seen this recently; the issue that prompted the scan is this:

Internet Explorer opens and immediately closes; Internet Options and System Restore won't open at all; however other icons in Control panel will
    Last edited by crazygravy; 2010-08-27 at 00:30. Reason: Additional info

Would the full error message be this?:"This application has been changed since it was created.Since SpyBot S&D does not change itself,we recommend you check your system for malware and viruses immediately."

Which version of Spybot do you have?(If you're not sure,you can open Spybot,click Help,then About.)
    And what operating system are you running?

Default RE: The application has changed

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Would the full error message be this?:"This application has been changed since it was created.Since SpyBot S&D does not change itself,we recommend you check your system for malware and viruses immediately."

Which version of Spybot do you have?(If you're not sure,you can open Spybot,click Help,then About.)
    And what operating system are you running?
    It would; and it's the newest version; the OS is XP Professional

I haven't seen that error for a while now.
    In the past,that error message sometimes popped up when people had memory problems.But before we get into all that,I'd like to ask a couple questions about this:
    Quote Originally Posted by crazygravy
    Internet Explorer opens and immediately closes; Internet Options and System Restore won't open at all; however other icons in Control panel will
    Do you get any error messages when you try to open Internet Options and System Restore,or do they just not open?Have you noticed any other strange things happening with your computer,other than what you listed above?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    I haven't seen that error for a while now.
    In the past,that error message sometimes popped up when people had memory problems.But before we get into all that,I'd like to ask a couple questions about this:

Do you get any error messages when you try to open Internet Options and System Restore,or do they just not open?Have you noticed any other strange things happening with your computer,other than what you listed above?
    They simply do not open. Hour glass comes up for a sec then closes. IE open starts to find a page then immediately closes. Also tried disabling everything running except for essential services. Tried running again and it gets almost through; finding a couple things; then suddenly closes. Same with a 30 day trial of Eset AV; got about 70% scanned then suddenly closed

I think it might be a good idea if you get checked out in Malware Removal.

Please read and follow "Before You Post":
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Malware Removal:
    http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Once you are all done in malware removal and the topic is closed,if you are still having problems with the Spybot error message,etc.,you can always come back here and post.