Thread: Questions..

Default Questions..

What is the difference between "SD Resident" and the "Tea Timer?"

I thought "tea timer" was basically what monitored your computer 24hrs. Preventing unauthorized registry changes and whatnot. But then the icon at the system tray says "Spybot-SD Resident" when you hover over it. What is that? I would think that's where the "Tea Timer" would be?

Also, on my Windows 7, I can't seem to get the "Spybot-SD Resident(?)" icon which is normally at the "system tray" to show up on ANY OTHER account but Administrator. Why? I have installed and uninstalled. On the Standard User Account I have opened Spybot S&D (right-click>run as administrator) gone to "Resident" and checked..unchecked..and checked again the resident check box. It shows up but then when I log out and log back in (or restart computer) it doesn't load back up. Nothing.

What do I do about that too?

Finally..on a Standard User Account how would I know my computer is protected when I can't even get the "Tea Timer(?)" or "Spybot-SD Resident(?)" icon to show up?

I know I'm asking a lot but any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

The icon in the system tray is both Spybot-SD Resident and Teatimer,one and the same.
    When you login to the Standard User Account,press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager and check to see if TeaTimer.exe is running.
    If it isn't,you could try creating a startup entry for teatimer for All Users,and teatimer should run when you login to every account.There's more info here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=4354
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...59&postcount=4

You should be able to create the All Users startup entry for teatimer right from Spybot,if you like.Rightclick Spybot and select Run As Administrator,go to System Startup within Spybot's Tools section,click Insert,select Create for All Users,leave Create a link to a normal program selected,then under Registry Entry(value & data),type Teatimer into the Name of Link section.
    If your Spybot folder is located in the usual place,C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy,then you can copy and paste C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe into the Linked file section,then press OK.

If your Spybot folder is in a different location,you can use the ... button to navigate to teatimer.exe,then press ok.(Note that TeaTimer.exe is a hidden file:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial151.html)

Once you are done,select the HK_CU run entry for SpybotSD TeaTimer with your mouse so it's highlighted,then press Toggle,which will disable the current user startup entry for Teatimer.

Thanks for your reply Zenobia; for explaining the "Tea Timer" and your suggestions on getting the Tea Timer to work on all accounts. I'm at work right now but I will try your suggestions when I get home.

Thanks again.

Quick question; how do I know other accounts; Guest and Standard User accounts are protected by Spybot? Anyway to find out?

Hello,

In order to run the TeaTimer on other accounts you have to log in on those accounts and activate the TeaTimer manually there.
    - Go into Spybot - Mode - Advanced Mode - Tools - Resident.
    - Check the following: Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Quick question; how do I know other accounts; Guest and Standard User accounts are protected by Spybot? Anyway to find out?
    This post shows how Spybot protects your computer:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281
    The first one is Immunization.You could login to each account,open Spybot,and then click Immunize to see that each account is immunized.

The second one is the bad download blocker.You could login to each account,open Spybot,go to Resident,and check that Resident "sdhelper" is checkmarked.

The third is Teatimer.Ordinarily,if you activated Teatimer on each account,you'd see the Teatimer icon in the notification area (system tray) when you login to each account.But,in your case,as Teatimer doesn't show up in the system tray after you logoff/log back in to the standard account after you activate it,then another way to check would be to press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager and check to see if TeaTimer.exe is running.If TeaTimer.exe isn't running in task manager,then that account is not being protected by TeaTimer.

The fourth one listed,the Hosts File,is now part of Spybot's standard immunization.
    hth.

Once again, thanks Zenobia. I now have the Teatimer in the system tray for all accounts. Rebooted to see if it would automatically start up. And it did. For all accounts; Guest and Standadrd Thanks a lot. I appreciate it.

And thank you too Sandra.

You're welcome.