Thread: Problems: S&D incredibly slow

Default Problems: S&D incredibly slow

I stopped using spybot S&D for a while and decided to grab it again, however, I now have windows 7 - same computer I've used it on before though. It used to work perfectly fine, but now, the updating process freeze from time to time (same for startup), and the scans do nothing but hang, after 45 minutes the thing still wasn't even a 3rd of the way. The scan seems to be absolutely raping my computer, everything lags all to hell while its on.

Which is very odd, considering it was never like this before, and something else to add to this is the CPU usage starts out at 20% or so, then when it hits 654/XXXXXX the freezing begins, I let it go till nearly a 3rd of the scan, but still it was puttering along. At this point the CPU usage drops to below 5%.

After stopping/closing during the scan my computer skips for a few minutes too, without the CPU usage climbing. I've tried disabling my Sophos AV and that doesn't help.

Another thing to mention is my Sophos appears to freeze at 76% too. Both scans reveal no viruses, as far as I've gotten them.

My best guess would be that a virus is stopping them somehow, but it doesn't completely stop Spybot, just makes it scan so incredibly slow. Or perhaps an incompatibility with Sophos being
    installed on my machine?

Thanks in advance.

PS: as for system specs
    8800GTX
    QX6700 CPU
    4 Gigs of DDR2(cant remember)
    250, 2x500 and Terabyte drives
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Drivers all up to date and the CPU isnt overheating, more then enough cooling to stop that.
    I just installed Spybot S&D, ill go attempt removing Sophos now.

PSS:

Okay, I uninstalled sophos and now its working better, but instead of stalling at 654 it decided to stall at 47097. The scan itself is making my computer skip while using <5% of my CPU.
    I've also tried running in safe mode, same shit.
    Last edited by RSCH11; 2010-09-17 at 10:27.

Hello,

Did you close your browser during the scan with Spybot?
    Do you have any other programs opened?
    Have you also tried to disable the resident protection of Spybot?
    Please run Spybot-S&D and select "Spybot-S&D" --> "Immunize" in the navigation bar on the left. Please hit "Undo".
    Then open Spybot - Search & Destroy in the Advanced mode via the menu item Mode.
    Now select 'Tools' - 'Resident' from the navigation bar on the left.
    Please untick the checkboxes in front of the two tools.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Tried all those solutions and had no other programs running, still hanging and going very slow.

I did manage to complete a scan, after nearly 4 hours.