Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Hello everyone!

  1. #1
    Junior Member Wendykins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    22

    Default Hello everyone!

    Hi everybody, I have just joined. I have been using Spybot Search and Destroy for quite a while now (the free version) but it never occurred to me to actually join the forums. Anyway, I have now, which seems to make sense if I am using it.

    I just have a few questions to start with. I am not sure whether this is the right forum to ask, if it is not, then perhaps somebody could kindly redirect me to the correct one?

    I believe my first question has already been answered, pertaining to having your own avatar. I have seen the ones you have available. Am I allowed to pick one of those being a newbie? Am I allowed to upload one of my own? If so, how do I do this?

    My next question is this. (more of a statement than a question ;-)

    I ditched AVG for Microsoft Security Essentials. I also ditched Malwarebytes because I was getting an annoying balloon coming up in the bottom right hand corner of my taskbar every time I loaded up the computer relating to a problem with that program. I also joined the Malwarebytes forums where I spent ages with them trying to sort this problem and they could not sort out the problem either. I uninstalled it in the end as Microsoft Security Essentials, I was informed would be satisfactory without it.

    This is my real question.

    I still kept Spybot and Spywareblaster in conjunction with MSE yet MSE was advising that all other anti-virus and malware programs should be taken off before their product was installed. So the question is, do I seriously need to do this and will they all conflict with each other if I leave them all on my computer?

    It does not seem to and I have not seen any adverse effects by having all three. The only thing I can think of is that I use Windows Speech Recognition. This seems to be very slow at times. Could, by using all three programs, this contribute towards a conflict to cause this problem???

    Any advice on what I really should do would be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance

    Wendykins
    Last edited by Wendykins; 2010-09-19 at 18:45. Reason: Where I say "my next question, is this", it is more of a statement

  2. #2
    Member of Team Spybot tashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    30,546

    Default

    Hello Wendykins.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wendykins View Post
    I believe my first question has already been answered, pertaining to having your own avatar. I have seen the ones you have available. Am I allowed to pick one of those being a newbie? Am I allowed to upload one of my own? If so, how do I do this?
    All registered members may use one of the stock avatars provided, I'm afraid at this time only team members in malware removal and forum helpers can upload their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendykins View Post
    I still kept Spybot and Spywareblaster in conjunction with MSE yet MSE was advising that all other anti-virus and malware programs should be taken off before their product was installed. So the question is, do I seriously need to do this and will they all conflict with each other if I leave them all on my computer?
    Rule of thumb is one firewall/one anti virus program resident to avoid conflicts, loss of program efficiency and system lock up due to both software products attempting to access the same file at the same time.

    Usually one can have several anti spyware type programs installed without issue, although one may decide to choose one resident real time protection.

    FYI:
    How Spybot-S&D protects against the installation of Spyware/Malware.

    Hope that helps.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

  3. #3
    Junior Member Wendykins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    22

    Talking Hello tashi

    Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello Wendykins.


    All registered members may use one of the stock avatars provided, I'm afraid at this time only team members in malware removal and forum helpers can
    upload their own.

    Hi tashi, nice to meet you :-) I am from the UK by the way.

    Oh, alright then. I was just going to upload a picture of Wendy from Peter Pan. My namesake. Never mind, I will you use one of the others instead. Thanks.


    Rule of thumb is one firewall/one anti virus program resident to avoid conflicts, loss of program efficiency and system lock up due to both
    software products attempting to access the same file at the same time.

    Usually one can have several anti spyware type programs installed without issue, although one may decide to choose one resident real time protection.

    Sorry for being a bit thick and just to clarify. I know that when you download MSE, it automatically turns off Windows Defender doesn't it? That is different
    to Windows Firewall isn't it. So I still do have a firewall?

    And you are also saying (please clarify) it is fine to have Spybot S&D & Spywareblaster on the same machine at the same time with MSE???

    I have not got a real time anti-spyware program. I have to update both of them. This is not a problem though, is it?

    Thank you for all the extra information you sent. I shall wade myself through it when I get a bit of time and no doubt, I will probably have a series
    of other questions to shower you with

    Wendykins

  4. #4
    Member of Team Spybot tashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    30,546

    Default

    Hi Wendykins,
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendykins View Post
    I know that when you download MSE, it automatically turns off Windows Defender doesn't it? That is different
    to Windows Firewall isn't it. So I still do have a firewall?
    Unless you have a third party firewall you'd be using Windows native firewall. What is your operating system?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendykins View Post
    And you are also saying (please clarify) it is fine to have Spybot S&D & Spywareblaster on the same machine at the same time with MSE???
    I am not aware of any issues in doing so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendykins View Post
    I have not got a real time anti-spyware program. I have to update both of them. This is not a problem though, is it?
    Not sure what you mean, what wouldn't be a problem, updating the programs?

    Spybot-S&D has "teatimer" resident, but you do not have use that option. Linked to previously: How Spybot-S&D protects against the installation of Spyware/Malware.

    Spywareblaster: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spyw...tml#Principles

    Cheers.
    Last edited by tashi; 2010-09-20 at 22:53. Reason: clarify
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

  5. #5
    Senior Member djpailo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    126

    Default

    You may also want to download and install CCleaner:
    http://www.piriform.com/

    This will remove any old registry keys from your AVG installation. It doesn't dig around the registry too deep, so it works great.

  6. #6
    Member of Team Spybot tashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    30,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djpailo View Post
    This will remove any old registry keys from your AVG installation. It doesn't dig around the registry too deep, so it works great.
    I'll have to link Wendykins to Registry Cleaners, not recommended
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

  7. #7
    Junior Member Wendykins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    22

    Default So much to say show numbers , so much to learn

    Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hi Wendykins,

    Unless you have a third party firewall you'd be using Windows native firewall. What is your operating system?
    Vista Ultimate is my OS at the moment but I will be upgrading to Win 7 very shortly. I checked in my control panel and I do have Windows firewall so I guess I am protected in that area.

    I am not aware of any issues in doing so.
    Good. I did not think there were and I have had no trouble thus far.

    You said in your previous post that you can have as many adware, spyware malware programs as you like. With the ones I have at the moment, as I have described, do you think I am short in any other department?

    In other words, are there any more of these programs that I could do with as extra protection? If so, what are other good recommendations? Or, am I okay as I am?

    Not sure what you mean, what wouldn't be a problem, updating the programs?
    I think I may have my wires crossed here. Perhaps you can tell me if I have.

    Because I do not have the paid version of Spywareblaster or Spybot S&D, I regularly update both and this is not a problem. What I thought you meant by "one resident real-time protection" was having one anti-spyware program that was paid for so this one stayed on all the time and did not need to be updated manually.

    Am I barking up the wrong tree here and missing something???

    I did not mean I have a problem updating them. Can you see what I was trying to say now?

    I also regularly immunise after updating using your product. Am I doing the right thing here? I also regularly scan using your product as well. Your product, in my opinion is brilliant. I just want to learn to use it properly.


    Spybot-S&D has "teatimer" resident, but you do not have use that option. Linked to previously: How Spybot-S&D protects against the installation of Spyware/Malware.

    Spywareblaster: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spyw...tml#Principles

    Cheers.
    I have not read this information thoroughly yet. Just shows you how novice I am. What is “teatimer”? Will it all become apparent once I have read the URLs you have put here?

    Please help me out as you can see what a confused bunny I am regarding this.

    I'll have to link Wendykins to Registry Cleaners, not recommended <http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30038>
    I have to be honest here. I have always been told by knowledgeable people as yourself not to use Registry cleaners. For years I heeded this warning because I was so scared of ‘em.I have read some of the articles from URL's on this Website (and others) and I have yet to see a bad word said against CC cleaner or adverse effects it has caused.

    I actually took the plunge and the risk a little while back, downloaded and used this product for the first time. The reason for this was that I was so desperate to clean my computer up because it slowed down to such an extent.

    Yes I tried all the other ways, I regularly defrag etc etc but this just did not do anything substantial to help my machine. The very first time I used CC cleaner, I noticed a significant difference in the speed up of my machine. On top of that, I always save a backup of the registry each time I use it and these backups are stored safely in a folder if I need them.

    Can you tell me any other ways you can clean up your computer and speed it up without using a software product such as I have just mentioned? If there are those programs out there, then I would like to know and then I would not need to use a registry cleaner.

    Cheers

    Wendykins

  8. #8
    Member of Team Spybot tashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    30,546

    Default

    Hello Wendykins,
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendykins View Post
    You said in your previous post that you can have as many adware, spyware malware programs as you like.
    Not quite,
    Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Usually one can have several anti spyware type programs installed without issue,
    Several: being more than two but fewer than many in number or kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendykins View Post
    With the ones I have at the moment, as I have described, do you think I am short in any other department?
    Please see So how did I get infected in the first place? for some general tips.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendykins View Post
    Because I do not have the paid version of Spywareblaster or Spybot S&D,
    Spybot for personal use is free, perhaps you were thinking of Corporate-Small Business Editions
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendykins View Post
    I regularly update both and this is not a problem. What I thought you meant by "one resident real-time protection" was having one anti-spyware program that was paid for so this one stayed on all the time and did not need to be updated manually.

    Am I barking up the wrong tree here and missing something???

    I did not mean I have a problem updating them. Can you see what I was trying to say now?
    Please see the topic I previously linked to: How Spybot-S&D protects against the installation of Spyware/Malware. and tutorial "8. Resident" here, http://www.safer-networking.org/en/tutorial/index.html

    Quote Originally Posted by Wendykins View Post
    I also regularly immunise after updating using your product. Am I doing the right thing here?
    That is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendykins View Post
    I have not read this information thoroughly yet. Just shows you how novice I am. What is “teatimer”? Will it all become apparent once I have read the URLs you have put here?
    Only you will know the answer to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendykins View Post
    I have to be honest here. I have always been told by knowledgeable people as yourself not to use Registry cleaners. For years I heeded this warning because I was so scared of ‘em.I have read some of the articles from URL's on this Website (and others) and I have yet to see a bad word said against CC cleaner or adverse effects it has caused.
    CCleaner is a nice program, it is the registry cleaner option that can be a concern.
    If you do not have knowledge of the registry, then you would probably be better off leaving it alone, and definitely not placing blind trust in a program to do the job for you.
    Registry Cleaners, not recommended
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendykins View Post
    Can you tell me any other ways you can clean up your computer and speed it up without using a software product such as I have just mentioned? If there are those programs out there, then I would like to know and then I would not need to use a registry cleaner.
    From the same sticky, please read the topics linked to and see the discussions. There is information that should help.

    Do I Need a Registry Cleaner?

    Should I Use a Registry Cleaner?

    Are Registry Cleaners Safe to Use?

    Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

  9. #9
    Junior Member Wendykins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    22

    Default So much to read, so much the learn

    Hi tashi,

    Looks like I have a bit of reading up to do then. Sound advice from you which I appreciate. If I get stuck anywhere I can always ask a question in here.

    There is one other question I would like to ask.

    I do not know whether it is me or whether the happens to other people as well. If I have downloaded a new program from wherever, before I open it, I always scan it first with MSE and then S, S&D. The Malware scan usually takes seconds before it states "nothing found". The Heuristic scan on the other hand on some occasions seems to take an age to complete. On some, it can take up to half an hour and still there is no completion and it is still stating that the scan is "queued." Is this normal? Should I be doing something differently?

    Thanks for all your support with my previous questions.

    Wendykins

  10. #10
    Member of Team Spybot tashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    30,546

    Default

    Hello Wendykins,

    Heuristic scans take longer than other types.

    Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •