Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled

Unhappy Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled

How do I fix the problem. I run fix problems and it fixes them, but on the next scan it is still there. It says: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wscsvc\Start!=W=2

Can anyone help me?

If you click on Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled,then click the area to the right with the arrows on it,Spybot will give you this description:

Company:
    Product: Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled
    Threat: Security

Functionality
    if the Windows Security Center is disabled this entry will be shown

Description
    Malware can disable the Windows Security Center to make your System more vulnerable.

If you have other security software suit installed, this may also deactivate the Windows Security Center to avoid double warning messages.
    Do you have anything like Norton or McAfee?It says here they disable Windows Security Center.(also,spybot will show this detection if you disabled Security Center in Services):
    http://www.spybot.info/en/faq/46.html
    If you changed the settings yourself you can safely tell Spybot to exclude those detections from further scans.
    In order to do so please right-click each in turn, then click "exclude this detection from future scans". That way, should any other part of security center settings change, Spybot will still detect those.
    The same is true if you have another security solution installed (like McAfee Security Center or Norton Internet Security). These programs also disable the Windows Security Center in order to take care of things themselves.

Default Questions

@ Zenobia

Today I found beside 'Carpe Diem Vars' the same entry: Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled. I'm using 'Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic' and Spybot, the latter solve the 'Carpe Diem' problem and gives me that entry. Are this problems connected? Is it possible to enable the security center?

To keep to the save side: the entry alone means nothing bad - no virus, no malware?

Further I think it's a bit thick, if 'good' programs working against each other. It makes-insecure, because you don't know the programs which disables the security center. By the way I ask myself, do I have more or less security without this center? It sounds dramatic...

Greetings from Bavaria
    Stefan

If you let Spybot fix Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled,I believe it should reenable the Security Center.When I let it fix mine,it was on Automatic when I checked.If Spybot didn't reenable it,you could try doing it manually.
    Shortcut...go to Start->Run,and type services.msc ,then press OK.
    or:
    Long way...click Start,Control Panel,Performance and Maintenance,Administrative Tools,then doubleclick Services.(that's for category view.)
    Scroll down until you find Security Center,then doubleclick it.If it's set to disabled,click the Arrow,select Automatic,then click Apply,and then OK.Then you could click Start,in Start the Service,to start Security Center.

I'm not too familiar with Carpe Diem Vars,but from the description I'm reading it doesn't disable the Security Center,though I do not know that with 100% certainty.

The entry alone is not bad(it's not a virus or malware itself).But it's possible for malware to disable the Windows Security Center,so it's a good warning.
    Antivir doesn't disable Security Center,that I know of.
    If you feel that Windows Security Center may have been disabled because of malware,(and you're still having problems),you could ask for help in the Malware Removal forum.
    The instructions are here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288
    Malware Removal:
    http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Most people would recommend having Security Center enabled,yes.
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2006-07-26 at 23:04.

Hey guys, thanks for the help.

I am pretty sure it's not malware, because I have done scans on everything I have (Norton, Spybot, Adaware, Microsoft Antispyware Beta). Also, in the tast manager, I don't see anything suspicious running.

Perhaps Norton may have disable the security center? Do things like that happen every now and then?

Oh, and also, the whole Norton popup never happened before. Some people said things could be loading in a different order, but I don't think that's the case. I don't know why it would start showing up now. Plus, Norton is working fine...at least that's what it says in the Norton status and security center.

I know my brother was using the interet before it happened, and was watching somd videos online. I wonder if that caused it..

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

There is a related thread started by DazzleSurprise here:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

oh, i confused this one with mine because they are similar. Sorry about that!

@ Zenobia

Many thanks for your hints! I follow your instruction, reboot and the problem was solved - no entry! Also disabled was the windows update but I don't know why. Neither Spybot nor AntiVir found something. I watch it in the next days...

Greetings from Bavaria
    Stefan

You're welcome.