Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled

Lightbulb Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    If you click on Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled,then click the area to the right with the arrows on it,Spybot will give you this description:

Do you have anything like Norton or McAfee?It says here they disable Windows Security Center.(also,spybot will show this detection if you disabled Security Center in Services):
    http://www.spybot.info/en/faq/46.html
    Hi,

I have disabled the Norton's Firewall and I have opted instead for Windows Security Center as my firewall. If I tell Spybot to ignore Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled, will this not allow a spyware to actually disable Windows Security Center?

Thanks you for your help.

Hi. Well,if you tell Spybot to ignore Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled,then that would prevent Spybot from detecting that your Windows Security Center had been disabled(by malware or something else),as Spybot would no longer check for Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled when you scan with Spybot.

I have disabled the Norton's Firewall and I have opted instead for Windows Security Center as my firewall.
    Do you mean you're using Windows Firewall?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Hi. Well,if you tell Spybot to ignore Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled,then that would prevent Spybot from detecting that your Windows Security Center had been disabled(by malware or something else),as Spybot would no longer check for Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled when you scan with Spybot.

Do you mean you're using Windows Firewall?
    Hi,

Yes, I use Windows Firewall instead of Norton's. I find that Norton spends a lot of time "learning" and slows down my computer. When I allow Spybot S&D to remove the entry Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled, Norton reactivates its own Firewall, and starts "learning", asks me to perform multiple virus definitions updates, tells me that my membership has expired (which is not true), requires me to perform a full scan, etc... It takes me approximately one hour to do all of what I am asked (without the full scan) in order to activate Windows Firewall again!

I guess I have no other choice than to let Spybot S&D find the entry each time I run a scan and unckeck the box when removing spam or the likes.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.
    Happy Christmas from Montréal.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Fangus:

Quote Originally Posted by Fangus View Post
    I use Windows Firewall instead of Norton's.
    Please note that although the Windows XP firewall is better than having no firewall, it only filters incoming traffic and therefore is not as secure as other firewalls that filter both incoming and outgoing traffic. Apparently Microsoft recognizes this weakness since the firewall in Vista will support filtering for both incoming and outgoing traffic.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

When I allow Spybot S&D to remove the entry Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled, Norton reactivates its own Firewall
    In that case,I would probably set Spybot to ignore Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled myself,if that were me,though it's up to you,of course.

Here is a list of popular firewalls,if you decide to disable Windows firewall:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...ial60.html#pop
    Here's a quick way to disable Windows Firewall with Service Pack 2:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3b283673

Thank you. Happy Christmas to you,too.

Default Registry value changed

I had the same spyware disable my windows security center but when spybot found it it said that the value was changed and it gave a path name.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wscsvc\Start (is not)W=2

I suspect that I need to return this to its original value to get the security system back up and running. Can someone tell me what it was?

Did you fix the detection with Spybot?
    If so,Spybot should change it to a dword value of 2 for you.That will set the Security Center service to Automatic.