Thread: Spybot forcing my computer to shut down/restart. Help?

Default Spybot forcing my computer to shut down/restart. Help?

For the last few days, whenever I have tried to run a Spybot S&D "check for problems" scan, it will start to scan as it normally does, but then when it's about over half-way done (almost nearly completed) it will cause my entire computer to shut down and restart itself.

Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening?

I have malwarebytes and Avast anti-visus installed. I used them to try to detect a virus that might be affecting Spybot from completing its scan, but the scan results from both malwarebytes and avast came up clean.

Thanks for any help or insight you can give me.

Question

Yes I have been having a similar problem; a blue screen & stop Error code 0x0000008e, (0xc0000005 , 0x00000000 , 0xb7cd1c38 ) appears during scanning with spybot.... However, I have to manually restart my PC. I have tried repairing my regestry and all other scans ie. defender, Avast etc. come up clean. I'm running windows XP home SP3. This has only been happening since yesterday, my last succesful scan was 3 days ago.
    Last edited by spudd57; 2010-10-17 at 04:53. Reason: spelling

Thumbs down 10/13 bad update

Ok I downloaded the 10/13 update to both computers (laptop and desktop, Windows XP) and after immunizing , proceeded to scan for problems. After half or more through, the computers both re-booted, before completing the scan. The lucky part is that just prior to the download, I had backed up both computers, using Norton Ghost. So I restored them to the previous day, and tried the scan again. It worked perfectly. Conclusion - there must be something wrong with the new update. Going through old forum posts I found several blaming overheating and bad fans, etc. But that dog just don't hunt when the same thing happens to two separate computers. My e-mails to support have not been answered (imagine my surprise). I'll give them a few more days and then uninstall Spybot. Too bad, I've been using it for several years.

Hello,

Spybot - Search & Destroy is quite CPU intensive. It is possible that the CPU overheating and the system is shutting down to protect the processor. Make sure that the fans are running and that dust is cleared from any ventilation ports in the case.

The problem can happen in both desktops and laptops, although the problem is more prevalent in laptops.

If you have a laptop with one of the one of the following processors:

- Mobile Pentium III-M
    - Mobile Pentium 4-M
    - Mobile Pentium 4
    - Mobile Pentium M / Centrino
    - Mobile AMD

Take a look at following suggestion by 100mill:

Notebook CPU running hot during Spybot scan

If you have a desktop consider opening the case and checking to make sure the CPU heat sink is not too dusty. Doubt that this can be a problem, read the following threads:

Spybot - Search & Destroy causes shut down
    PC crashes while Spybot - Search & Destroy is running

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default Re-boot, Shme-boot

Hi Sandra and thanks for the response. All fans and ports have been checked and approved. So here's my plan: I'm going to once again back up both computers using Ghost. Then I will download the new update, and try a scan. Here's the thing - both computers re booted after the 10/13 update, but when I restored the computer to the 10/3 update the scans ran just fine. What does that say? Logic would indicate that there is SOMETHING WRONG with the 10/13 update. This is a lot of trouble, but now I'm interested. I can't possibly be the only one who has experienced this problem can I?
    Rob

Talking Continuing on..

Ok, so I did update to 10/20 and scanned, then sat and watched the scan for about an hour or until my eyes crossed. It completed the scan and gave me a big "Congratulations!" So I still maintain there must have been something wrong with the 10/13 update.
    Oh, well...