Thread: Spybot S&D makes Windows Explorer crash

Default Spybot S&D makes Windows Explorer crash

I'm running Windows 7 32bit and my Windows Explorer crashes often and then restarts almost immediately.
    This is very annoying therefore I consulted Microsoft where several Support Engineers claimed that it's because of SpyBot which seems to have an older SDHelper.dll loading and recommended to remove the software from my computer.
    Considering that I don't want to can you please provide me with a solution to avoid it?

Hello,

I am sorry, but I do not see how our SDHelper should crash the Windows Explorer. Wonder why they told you that.
    Instead of uninstalling Spybot you can just disable the resident feature of Spybot - Search & Destroy.
    That's the way to deactivate it: run Spybot-S&D, switch to the "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" --> hit "YES" --> select "Tools" in the navigation bar on the left --> "Resident" and there you can untick the checkboxes in front of the SDHelper.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

They came to this conclusion after studying the numerous dump files created during the crashes which they asked me to upload to my SkyDrive.
    Disabling SDHelper means that Spybot allows bad downloads in the Internet Explorer. Right?
    Well, I prefer to have no software at all than having a defective software.
    Any chance of fixing this issue in any of your future updates?
    Thanks for your response.

Hello,

That's correct.
    Disabling the SDHelper will allow the baddies to get in.
    As I do not think that our software is causing these problems I do not think that we are the ones that should fix anything here.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Considering that I've emailed the Spybot Support together with opening this thread and another support member advised to completely uninstall, reboot and then reinstall the software, I'll try this and if the issue persists I'll remove it for good.

Regards