Thread: What are these programs for, they are installed in my programs i found...??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What are these programs for, they are installed in my programs i found...??

One is
    'No Chrome Offer Until'. This one's author is written google.

Another one is
    'Smart Cards and Terminals'. This one author written Schlumberger.

(I have another varied name of Spybot - Search & Destroy too. But, i will ask about it in the Spybot - Search & Destroy section.)

The program is this much name.... 'No Chrome Offer Until'. Can it be chrome? I never installed google chrome, but i have a chrome folder in c:\program files\mozilla firefox.

Chrome is not even in the add-remove programs list. Not in the start menu, not on the desktop.

What does it mean, is it preinstalled.

Searching the registry for 'No chrome offer until' leads me to find that....

There is a key hkey_local_machine\software\google under which this subkey is.

Thats hkey_local_machine\software\google\no chrome offer until

In the list of 'name-type-data' pairs on the right hand panel for this
    'no chrome offer until' .....

NAME . . . . . . . . . TYPE . . . . . . . . . . . . DATA

(Default) . . . . . . . REG_SZ . . . . . . . . . . (value not set)
    ALWIL Software . . .REG_DWORD . . . . . . . 0x0132dbe3 (20110307)

How is it supposed to be related to alwil (alwil is for avast, and i no longer have avast on my system).
    Last edited by venus_n; 2010-11-07 at 18:11.

If you said no to the offer of Google Chrome when installing Avast,looks like the "hkey_local_machine\software\google\no chrome offer until" is created so you aren't offered Google Chrome again,from all I've gathered.

As for the other one,a google search shows:
    http://www.google.ca/search?source=i...earch&aq=f&oq=

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    If you said no to the offer of Google Chrome when installing Avast,looks like the "hkey_local_machine\software\google\no chrome offer until" is created so you aren't offered Google Chrome again,from all I've gathered.
    I do keep getting a google chrome offer at the top right of my google.com page when i am in internetexplorer. It goes off sometimes, like it went off when i had run combofix first time, came back after i had run second time.
    Seems like a switch. I wonder if that chrome ad has anything to do with this.

Surprisingly,the two combofix runs were after avast was uninstalled, so i wonder if avast could have played a role in switching the switch off or back on.
    Last edited by venus_n; 2010-11-08 at 04:00.

Besides these i also want to know about the following three keys in my registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\