Thread: uninstall Spybot S&D

Default uninstall Spybot S&D

Hi,
    What is the best way to completely uninstall? I read the article on the web page and I also read somewhere that I should "undo immunizations" before uninstalling.
    Thanks Bob

Hello,

Please run Spybot-S&D and select "Spybot-S&D" --> "Immunize" in the navigation bar on the left. Please hit "Undo".
    Then open Spybot - Search & Destroy in the Advanced mode via the menu item Mode.
    Now select 'Tools' - 'Resident' from the navigation bar on the left.
    Please untick the checkboxes in front of the two tools.

In order to completely uninstall Spybot - Search & Destroy now, please consider the following link.

Spybot - Search & Destroy will uninstall from the Windows Add/Remove Software control panel without problems.

If you want to completely get rid of Spybot-S&D and the Add/Remove doesn't help, you can delete the installation folder (usually C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\).

If you just want to upgrade to a newer version, please follow the same instructions like above and then install the new version.

After following these instructions please restart your system so that the changes can take place.

Also, neither the automated uninstall nor the manual uninstall like described above will remove the following directories, which you will have to remove by hand:

* Windows 95 or 98: C:\Windows\Aplication Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    * Windows ME: C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    * Windows NT, 2000 or XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    * Windows Vista: C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\

Please note that the Application Data Folder is hidden. So if you can't find this folder please check your folder properties.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Hi,
    I read the uninstall instructions in knowledge base, at the end is the following statement;

(Please note that the Application Data Folder is hidden. So if you cannot find this folder please check your folder properties.)

Explanation: this folder contains the backup (the quarantined files) that Spybot-S&D creates. If the Uninstall would remove this folder as well, this would mean that those backups would be gone. We saw it a few times that new users uninstalled Spybot-S&D in panic after they have experienced a small problem, thus removing the backup that would have undone any changes.

I would think that as long as I am not reinstalling I would be safe to delete this folder correct, my concern would be putting suspicious files back into the system.
    Thanks Bob

Default is it safe to delete this directory?

Hi,
    This is from the uninstall instructions;

Also, neither the automated uninstall nor the manual uninstall like described above will remove the following directories, which you will have to remove by hand:

* Windows 95 or 98: C:\Windows\Aplication Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    * Windows ME: C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    * Windows NT, 2000 or XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    * Windows Vista: C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\

Please note that the Application Data Folder is hidden. So if you can't find this folder please check your folder properties.

Thanks Bob

I am asking because I am wondering about this statement in the knowledge base

Explanation: this folder contains the backup (the quarantined files) that Spybot-S&D creates. If the Uninstall would remove this folder as well, this would mean that those backups would be gone. We saw it a few times that new users uninstalled Spybot-S&D in panic after they have experienced a small problem, thus removing the backup that would have undone any changes.

Thanks Bob

Hello,

If you do not need Spybot - Search & Destroy any more and do not want to use any backups then you can delete that folder safely.

Please do not open several threads with the same topic.

Thanks.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Hi,
    Sorry about that.
    The back-ups are for issues that were fixed correct. I just did not know whether I need to save them.

Thanks Bob

Hello,

That's right.
    If you do not have any problems after the scan with Spybot you can delete that folder and uninstall Spybot.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot