Thread: A question...

Default A question...

Forgive me if this question has already been asked. I have been using Spybot for over a year, it has always worked well, but about a month ago, it stopped finding anything. I have another program that I typically use as a back up, and it keeps finding a lot of spyware, even after Spybot says there isn't any, can anyone tell me why this is happening, and more importantly, how to fix it?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suzy910
    I have another program that ... keeps finding a lot of spyware ...
    It would be helpful to determine if there is a problem or not if you could be more specific about what other program you are talking about and specifically what it is finding.

For example: If the other program is Ad-aware and it is finding tracking cookies that Spybot is not finding, there may be an explanation such as discussed here:

On the other hand there may be a problem.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Wow, I'm a moron. Thanks for the answer and link. I just realized why its not working.

suzy910:

Care to share what you found?

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I have my computer set to not save any cookies or passwords, so everytime I close firefox it (in theory) deletes all that stuff. When I run spybot its always after I have closed firefox, and when I run adaware its always while firefox is open (because it takes forever, and yes, I realize running firefox probably makes it take longer, but I'm impatient) so that's why adaware is finding cookies and spybot is not.

suzy910:

I would like to point you to two references and maybe you will never see tracking cookies again in Firefox, no matter what the status of the browser is when you scan.

If you look at the information in the following link about how to prevent the storing of third party cookies, you might not see the cookies in either scan:

However it appears that some third-party cookies may not be blocked in Firefox by setting the options in the above article, but there seems to be an alternative. Please see the comments by Zenobia in last post of the following thread:

Interesting. Thanks for the help.