Thread: Spybot add-on in IE8

Default Spybot add-on in IE8

I recently installed Internet Explorer 8 and the Spybot add-ons look different. The manage add-ons screen shows Spybot-SD - IE Protection - BHO from Safer Networking. It also lists, as 'not available', Spybot-Search & Destroy Configuration - browser extension.

The HKLM\...\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\BHO registry key has a subkey that starts with 53707962, which is associated with SDHelper. There is also a key in HKLM\...\Internet Explorer\Extensions that starts with DFB852A3, which has, among others, a value ClsidExtension 53707962... I could find no other reference to DFB852A3... in the registry.

Spybot-Search Destroy Configuration is in the Tools menu and seems to work fine. Do I need to remove or change one of those registry keys to make IE8 happy?

The add-ons screen under IE6 with the same registry entries showed two normal looking entries for Spybot.

Thanks,
    Fran

Esteemed Member

The 'not available' does not mean the addon is not available, but only that IE8 (for some reason) can't identify the publisher (provider).
    What you see is normal (I have the same) and since you say it all works fine, you don't have a problem :-)

When I say it's working, I mean that Spybot S&D Configuration is in the tools menu and the box opens when I click on it. I'd feel better if I could see some evidence that SDHelper is blocking bad stuff. I'm a little concerned because IE8 affected several other things on my old XP SP2 system.

I have it set to confirm blocks, but it's never asked. The counts for blocked and allowed are both zero. I checked the SDHelper log and found several entries for casalemedia being blocked last year - tracking cookies, I assume.

Since I don't know whether they are still at the sites where they were blocked before, I added casalemedia.com to my restricted sites and unimmunized everything. SDHelper didn't say a word when I went there and it set a cookie, and there was nothing in the log. Maybe it doesn't count when it's a 1st party cookie. They are still supposed to be blacklisted, aren't they?

Is there something I can test with that won't be horribly dangerous? Tracking cookies can be easily deleted, but I don't want anything really nasty. It would be nice if there was a dummy entry in the blacklist just to test SDHelper.

Fran