Hi
I think I have managed to fix it. Finally figured out how to "fully" uninstall old AVG after they sent out a corrupted update and succesfully installed the new one. Ran an AVG scan and it found a fault as listed below. Dont know if this means anything to you??

"Scan ""Whole computer scan"" completed."
"Warnings";"1";"1";"0"
"Folders selected for scanning:";"Whole computer scan"
"Scan started:";"Thursday, 16 December 2010, 1:15:04 AM"
"Scan finished:";"Thursday, 16 December 2010, 2:28:12 AM (1 hour(s) 13 minute(s) 8 second(s))"
"Total object scanned:";"1060749"
"User who launched the scan:";"BarrellON Production"

"Warnings"
"";"File";"Infection";"Result"
"";"C:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-1754583774-3961524848-3462523170-1006\Dc47.exe";"Corrupted executable file";"Moved to Virus Vault"

Is it a virus file or a file that was corrupted by the update?

It seems to have fixed the problem, I can again navigate around as usual etc, all is normal again.

As for updating the programs I did all the ones that were possible thru the programs, any of them where the update had to be downloaded and executed manually were to much of a problem with the things going wrong but I will try and get them sorted now.

Do you think the update was the problem OR the update disrupted AVG and then let in a virus??

While the problem was occurring I had to plug in a memory stick, would this now be infected??

Should I take any special precautions for the time being??

I would also like to take the time to thank you for the time and effort you put into helping me. It is greatly appreciated by us folks who are only half competent on the PC.

If there is anything else you would like to know please feel free to contact me. Hopefully this is the last time I will need to contact you.

All the best for Xmas and the New Year.

Steve