I have read the announcement on the main page. For over 6 years I have been using Spybot. When I first installed it I was using Windows ME. Now windows vista... Years have passed but Spybot is still my main anti-spyware application, running with Antivir and PcTools firewall. Spyware Terminator is my backup security app. It is not actively running on the backround. Whereas Teatimer is always on
I am a computer science student in university in Turkey. And I know how things work in software development, and security softwares. Excepectations are always high, but the willingness to pay for it is not that high. People use cracked versions, but they still complain about their software, and make demands from the software company, whereas they dont even pay for it.
It is the same for Spybot with a small difference that they dont need to crack it. People still don't pay for it but they keep on making demands, continuously asking when version 2 will be announced. They don't even think what is the cost of this to you. They dont pay for it, they wait you bear all the expenses and provide this software for free.
This is something nearly impossible. Spybot is maybe the biggest project, provided for free. But it seems it is getting more difficult for you guys to keep up this project. So I think it is time for you to think of selling Spybot, instead of giving it away for free.

Spybot is the oldest and one of the best known antispyware application. It is succesffull, it has a very good reputation and almost every computer user know Spybot. So it won't be hard for you to earn money from this project. If Ad-Aware can sell their software, spybot can sell even more.