Thread: Missing rules?

Default Missing rules?

I just updated the detections and rules for version 1.6.2.46 and started running a scan -- yet it only indicates 778578 rules, not the 1147083 listed in the update. Why the discrepancy?

Esteemed Member

It shows 1387675 for me.

In Spybot, advanced mode, settings tab, file sets, are all the boxes checked?
    If not that might explain it. Unchecked ones are not included in the scan.

Also in advanced mode, settings tab, settings, check all the expert settings. Then in the search and destroy window click on the arrow on the file sets button and check that select all available checks has a check mark against it, if not click on it to select it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosenfeld View Post
    It shows 1387675 for me.

In Spybot, advanced mode, settings tab, file sets, are all the boxes checked?
    If not that might explain it. Unchecked ones are not included in the scan.

Also in advanced mode, settings tab, settings, check all the expert settings. Then in the search and destroy window click on the arrow on the file sets button and check that select all available checks has a check mark against it, if not click on it to select it.
    Thanks! I did all that, and it shows only 781275.

I should mention that the last time I ran Spybot, it did show the appropriate number of rules. I hadn't touched anything since.
    Last edited by scroink; 2010-12-18 at 18:35.

See Detections update 12/16/2010. Note that The home of Spybot-S&D! update there shows 12/15/2010 date.

I've always excluded cookies from the search as I control them before they get set.

Esteemed Member

Apologies, with the latest updates which I only looked for today, I also have only 781276. I guess that some old definitions may have been cleaned out, or perhaps some have been combined. Only someone from th development team can really answer.

Hello,

The number of the fingerprints in the last update is much smaller than in the updates before.
    This is not due to detections that have been removed.
    The reason of this reducing is the fact that we have improved our detection rules.
    The number of the fingerprints is not exactly the number of files and registry entries detected,
    it's the number of detection rules. Sometimes there are more than one rule for the same file,
    but often, one rule covers multiple files/entries.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Esteemed Member

Thanks for the clarification. I thought it must be something like that :-)