Thread: several spyware entries and tracking cookies

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default several spyware entries and tracking cookies

hello i got a few questions

1st.i got like several entries such as SmileyCentral Funwebproducts and something else i am not sure if these are possible spyware entries because when i do uncheck certain things that bog down my computer and i noticed 1 entry was in red it was a spigotsearch i don't know if that's a possible spyware entry and i did notice that the Ctfmon loads like almost everytime what is the purpose of that program on a computer.
    2nd.is there someway to prevent tracking cookies on a computer because i've noticed a lot in the tracking flash shared objects i don't know on how they are considered

Hello,

1. RightMedia, YieldManager, Doubleclick (and others like Advertising.com, Avenue A, Inc, CasaleMedia, Fastclick, Hitbox, Mediaplex etc.) are so-called tracking cookies. It is quite common for popular websites to employ such tracking cookies from third parties. They use them in order to track the users' surfing habits on their websites. As I said, these cookies are from third parties but they are employed by the site. There is a tool in Spybot-S&D: BrowserHelper, i.e. a bad download blocker for Internet Explorer. With this tool enabled such tracking cookies will be blocked. In order to activate this tool, please run Spybot-S&D and go to the "Tools"->"Resident" page. Checking the checkbox in front of SDHelper will enable the BrowserHelper.

Now open the Tools menu in your Internet Explorer and choose 'Spybot - Search Destroy Configuration'.
    There you will find a drop down menu which will appear giving you some options.
    (3rd picture)
    You should select "Block all bad pages silently".
    With that option set the notifications will no longer come up, but you will still have the protection.
    Further choose "Spybot-S&D->Immunize" from the navigation bar on the left.
    Now the baddies are blocked.

2. Ctfmon.exe is part of Microsoft Office XP. It monitors the active windows and provides text input service support for speech recognition,
    handwriting recognition, keyboard, translation, and other alternative user input technologies. It should be located here: C:\Windows\System32

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

1. RightMedia, YieldManager, Doubleclick (and others like Advertising.com, Avenue A, Inc, CasaleMedia, Fastclick, Hitbox, Mediaplex etc.) are so-called tracking cookies. It is quite common for popular websites to employ such tracking cookies from third parties. They use them in order to track the users' surfing habits on their websites. As I said, these cookies are from third parties but they are employed by the site. There is a tool in Spybot-S&D: BrowserHelper, i.e. a bad download blocker for Internet Explorer. With this tool enabled such tracking cookies will be blocked. In order to activate this tool, please run Spybot-S&D and go to the "Tools"->"Resident" page. Checking the checkbox in front of SDHelper will enable the BrowserHelper.

Now open the Tools menu in your Internet Explorer and choose 'Spybot - Search Destroy Configuration'.
    There you will find a drop down menu which will appear giving you some options.
    (3rd picture)
    You should select "Block all bad pages silently".
    With that option set the notifications will no longer come up, but you will still have the protection.
    Further choose "Spybot-S&D->Immunize" from the navigation bar on the left.
    Now the baddies are blocked.

2. Ctfmon.exe is part of Microsoft Office XP. It monitors the active windows and provides text input service support for speech recognition,
    handwriting recognition, keyboard, translation, and other alternative user input technologies. It should be located here: C:\Windows\System32

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

i do have the SDhelper on as it's been checkmarked a lot but i wasn't sure if there was anything else i could do as i do use Chrome and how do you clear out the tracking flash shared objects as i know they are tracking cookies in chrome

Hello,

I am sorry, but Chrome is only being supported in scanning and fixing at the moment.
    It is a very new browser and chrome itself does not offer any interface for immunizing yet.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot