Thread: Install Problem

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Install Problem

I can't install Spybot search and destroy on my Windows 7 64 bit machine. The program exits after the initial dialog boxes, then Windows 7 gives me a compatibility dialog box, re running doesn't help. Running as an administrator doesn't help. I can't see anything in event viewer about this. Any suggestions?

Default Why no response?

Are you telling me I am the ONLY one who has trouble installing this software? I used to run this all the time under XP. I even downloaded it twice from 2 different locations.

Default unable to install

Hi, I'm also using windows 7, 64 bit

Upon being able to complete 99 percent of the installation process, I kept receiving error messages:

Message 1:
    SETUP (Internal error: Failed to expand shell folder constant "userappdata")

Message 2:
    SETUP was not completed. Please correct the problem and run Setup again.

I disabled real time in windows defender but I kept receiving the same messages. I still haven't tried deactivating Avira though.

Do we have the same problem?

Hello,

I could not replicate the issue on a Windows 7 64-bit machine.

Sometimes an infected computer will not let Spybot-S&D be installed. Any symptoms of malware before trying to install the program?

Best regards.

Run as Administrator
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

triumph2011: My install fails as soon as the actual install begins, so I don't get as far as you.

tashi: I ran Windows Defender and it found a Trojan. Yes, I suspect there is other malware on this machine, that's why I want to install spybot. I even tried to install it in safe mode, no luck. Is there any work around?

Hi JohnBear,

Someone can advise after taking a look at the system.

Please see this FAQ "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) It includes instructions in post #2 on how to provide a preliminary DDS log, which is used for analysis.

Then if you start a new topic in the Malware Removal Forum a volunteer will help you when available.

If the infection prevents you from producing a log please start a new topic there anyway and let them know.

Best regards,
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Exclamation Run As Administrator does NOT help.

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello,

I could not replicate the issue on a Windows 7 64-bit machine.

Sometimes an infected computer will not let Spybot-S&D be installed. Any symptoms of malware before trying to install the program?

Best regards.

Run as Administrator
    Is there a 64-bit version of this software out there? Obviously there is some issue with 64-bit installations. I never had an issue on any Win7 or XP systems before I got my new Lenovo 64-bit system (brand new out of the box with no infections in sight). The first thing I did was try to install SBS&D 1.6 to no avail. I am getting installation errors. Tried safe mode installation, tried run as administrator, tried compatibility mode installation and nothing works. Please give us a 64-bit version of the software. Thank you.

Hello,

Which error messages do you get exactly?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Exclamation Can't Install SBS&D on 64-bit Ultimate Win7

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBear View Post
    I can't install Spybot search and destroy on my Windows 7 64 bit machine. The program exits after the initial dialog boxes, then Windows 7 gives me a compatibility dialog box, re running doesn't help. Running as an administrator doesn't help. I can't see anything in event viewer about this. Any suggestions?
    I am having an identical issue. I have tried everything you have tried, including running it in compatibility mode, administrator, and booting to safe-mode and installing. Nothing helps.

Please spybot techs, let us know if there is a 64-bit version of spybot coming down the pike at some point. I miss not having spybot.

I feel I have to try to keep my head above water by relying on some pretty unreliable software at this time and I want the relief of having Spybot on all my systems, 64-bit or not. Thank you.

Last edited by onlymy2cents; 2012-03-04 at 18:54. Reason: forgot something in my post