Thread: Load and Scan times?

Default Load and Scan times?

On my computer, it takes around 3 minutes to load the program and twenty minutes to do a full scan (WindowsXP Pro). Is this normal? The only program I have aside from what comes with XP is MSOffice. And just before downloading Spybot, I cleaned and defragged the hard drive. So I was pretty amazed it took so long to scan and found no problems, since I don't have any anti-virus programs and just rely on the No Script add-on for Firefox.

Thanks,
    Bahb

Interesting. It appears to depend on your CPU and overall system speed. Spybot has apparently been making a strong effort to reduce load times probably via definitions optimization. Their definition files are much smaller now. Spybot only takes about 1:30 to load now on my old slow laptop where it used to take 5 to 7+ minutes. I've been very pleased with their efforts. I presume the detection capability has not been compromised as a result.

I have not performed a system scan in a long time so I cannot comment on its speed. It has always tended to be extremely slow though.
    Last edited by Eagle2a; 2011-01-22 at 17:48.

You might want to consider getting a good anti-virus. Personally I prefer avast 5.1.889. Another solid av is Avira antivir. If you use an anti-virus it's a good idea to turn off the tea timer to prevent any conflicts caused by the resident shields. Most av's have built in shields and SpyBot's shields could cause the conflict.