Thread: Recent update

Default Recent update

I just downloaded the recent updates (1/19/11) and I notice there are no UNprotected profiles listed.
    Is that correct? I've always had to immunize to removed the UNprotected profiles. Why not this time?
    Please advise
    Alice
    Vista also Win7 (64-Bit) IE 9; MSE; SpywareBlaster; MalwareBytes; SpyBot

There are no new immunizations in this update.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Gopher John View Post
    There are no new immunizations in this update.
    Actually there are 9 new immunizations for Opera, but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by lewisje View Post
    Actually there are 9 new immunizations for Opera, but that's it.
    Are you running Opera 11?

Before I installed Opera 11, I uninstalled the Opera 10.63, restarted Windows and deleted all Opera folders before installing the latest version. Since then, SpyBot Search & Destroy only shows Opera plug-ins as candidates for immunization. And, of course, if Opera isn't installed then it shouldn't show at all unless there is left over files from an uninstall.

Even when one can move files around to get SpyBot Search & Destroy to show as immunized (it was possible in previous Opera versions), I'm not sure that Opera was actually using the immunizations. SpyBot Search & Destroy was satisfied with modifying the files, regardless.

lewisje is correct - 9 new Opera immunizations but nothing else.

Per my earlier referenced thread, Spybot does immunize Opera files (urlfilter.ini, etc.) if opera6.ini is in the main Opera installation folder. However, you then have to manually update the actual files that are used (in the Opera profile folder). I don't know why you're still showing Opera plug-ins. I'd check to be sure that the main Opera installation folder was deleted.
    Last edited by Eagle2a; 2011-01-22 at 16:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle2a View Post
    lewisje is correct - 9 new Opera immunizations but nothing else.

Per my earlier referenced thread, Spybot does immunize Opera files (urlfilter.ini, etc.) if opera6.ini is in the main Opera installation folder. However, you then have to manually update the actual files that are used (in the Opera profile folder). I don't know why you're still showing Opera plug-ins. I'd check to be sure that the main Opera installation folder was deleted.
    All of the Opera folders were deleted. Opera 11 was installed after all traces of Opera were removed from this machine and CCleaner was run on all Windows users. There were no traces remaining and I doublechecked by running SpyBot Search & Destroy before installing Opera 11. SpyBot S&D immunizations found nothing to immunize at all, until being run after Opera 11 was installed. Try it yourself to verify, if you wish.

I believe you. I don't know why Spybot is doing that. It's been very quirky and flaky as you know from the hacks and workarounds required to make it work with Opera.

And I have no plans to install Opera 11 as it is incompatible with my OS.
    Last edited by Eagle2a; 2011-01-22 at 17:00.

I'm running WinXP Pro SP3, and Opera 11 runs fine. However, it is not my default browser(Firefox), I guess I have it installed out of curiosity. It is interesting to see some sites display differently with Opera, Firefox, and IE8, though I don't spend much time with it. Immunizing Opera is like hitting a moving target, with it's constant shifting of file locations, and such.

FWIW, Opera 11 doesn't generate the file opera6.ini at all. In C:\Program Files\Opera\defaults is plugin-ignore.ini which SpyBot Search & Destroy alters for it's immunizations of plug-ins in Opera 11. This works for all Windows users on the machine, when SpyBot S&D is ran as an Admin with the Allhives switch.

SpyBot Search & Destroy does really need to be updated. It is now getting disparaged in most other security programs forums.