Thread: Computer shutdown by NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM

Question Computer shutdown by NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM

My machine was suffering from lags and some lockups; it occurred just that one time. Firefox would initiate but the window would not open.

The PC shut down by "NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM" prompt; so I had no control over what occurred. I did remove PC Tool's Threatfire because I had a nudge that may have been the problem.

At the moment the computer is running normally; a screenshot is attached.
    Does anybody have an idea on why this would occur?

Emeritus

Many years ago some worms used the vulnerability as a means to compromise machines. Its long been patched by MS. No doubt you are up to date with Windows and your virus definitions. This is what comes to mind first for me anyway. I wouldnt worry about it unless it happens again. If you use XP Pro you may find some clues in event viewer.
    How Can I Reduce My Risk?

Yes, my machine is patched. Thank you.

shelf life, are you familiar with Comodo's Firewall?
    I had a prompt once that told me about explorer.exe associating with some potential buffer overflow attack; I ignored it on purpose because the last time I terminated explorer.exe, I could not log on to Windows afterward.

Emeritus

No I am not familiar with Comodo's firewall. Some software firewalls and there associated components like host based intrusion protection systems (HIPS) can put up some complex questions or decisions a user must make on the fly. Really, the user behind the keyboard is still the driver. You might dig up some info about it at the Comodo users forum.
    How Can I Reduce My Risk?

Thanks for the confirmation.