Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deleting RED Results

Question Deleting RED Results

On a recent scan Spybot returned 142 results, 39 of which were shown in RED (mostly all Cookies). I "checked" all of them to be fixed but, even after several attempts of clicking "fix selected items", there were 8 "REDs" that were not deleted/fixed. Is this a "normal" result for Spydot? Should I be concerned about this? What am I missing?

Let's have a look at what isn't being fixed.

Could you please do this?:
    • Open SpyBot.
    • Check for problems.
    • When the scan completes, right click on the results list, select "Copy results to clipboard".
    • Paste (Ctrl+V) those results here.

Default Deleting RED Results

Will do. A Spydot scan usually runs close to two hours for my system. So, I probably won't get results to you until tomorrow.

Sure thing.See you tomorrow.

Smile Deleting RED Results

Zenobia -- I guess the "Gremlins" are out tonight! I re-ran the SB scan and got 24 "findings", only one of which was RED. I wasn't able to capture those results using the right-click procedure you described (I'm running Windows XP/Home and it uses "NotePad". I got nothing when I selected "Save to ClipBoard.)

In case it maybe useful to you, I did capture a "Screen Shot" of these results and I've attached that here.

I went ahead and selected "Fix All" and ALL were fixed!! So, I guess SB is working find now/today, and I'm good with that!

Thanks for all your help with this (and the other 2 posts). If I get any more REDs that won't go away I'll "capture" them and re-post.

I'm back (with a RED face)!!

When I got back to closing up SB I noticed the one RED finding was only checked with a SMALL green check mark -- ALL the other findings were checked with a LARGE check. I take that to mean the RED one was NOT fixed (that's how the report turned out yesterday -- all the small checks were listed as "nothing done")

So, on a smaller scale (1 vs 8), I seem to still have the problem of SB not getting rid of all the findings that I selected.

I've attached a "Screen Shot" of the After-Fix results for your use.

Hi,Koosharem.

Thank you for posting your Spybot results screenshot.

When you right click on the results list, and select "Copy results to clipboard",notepad does not open,but the info is still saved to your computer's clipboard,and will show in a post here if you Paste the results here.

Yes,that is correct,the checkmark shows as a larger green checkmark when something is fixed by Spybot.

You could try removing the doubleclick.net cookie through your browser.
    I don't use Google Chrome,but I found some instructions for removing cookies here,including how to remove one specific cookie:
    http://www.google.com/support/chrome...n&answer=95647
    Adjust cookie permissions

1. Click the wrench icon tools menu on the browser toolbar. Mac users: If you don't see the wrench icon, go to the menu bar at the top of your screen and click Chrome.
    2. Select Options (Preferences on Mac and Linux; Settings on Chrome OS).
    3. Click the Under the Hood tab.
    4. Click Content settings in the "Privacy" section.
    5. Click the Cookies tab in the Content Settings dialog that appears:

Delete cookies
    Click Show cookies and other site data.
    * To delete all cookies, click Remove all.
    * To delete a specific cookie, select the site that issued the cookie, then the cookie, and click Remove.
    There are also instructions on Google's page about managing Google Chrome's cookies.You could follow along there,if you would like to block the doubleclick.net cookie:
    http://www.google.com/support/chrome...y?answer=95647
    Make exceptions for cookies from specific websites or domains

To control how cookies should be handled for a few specific sites or domains, click Exceptions. To add a rule in the Cookie Exceptions dialog that appears, follow these steps:

1. Click Add.
    2. In the dialog that appears, enter the domain name for which you want to create an exception in the “Pattern” field. To create exceptions for an entire domain, insert [*.] before the domain name (e.g. [*.]google.com). You can also specify an IP address, an IPv6 address, or a non-http URL.
    3. Select an option from the “Action” menu to determine whether the site can set cookies. If you select Session only, its cookies are deleted every time you close your browser.
    4. If you’re making an exception in incognito mode, you can select the “Only apply to this incognito session” checkbox to make the exception override normal exceptions. The exception is removed once you close the last incognito window.
    5. Click OK.

You can also edit or remove exceptions by selecting the domain exception from the list and using the buttons on the bottom of the dialog.
    Please let me know how it goes.
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2011-02-22 at 23:44.

Hi Zenobia!

I followed your instructions regarding the Chrome "browser tool" and successfully deleted the DoubleClick.Net (RED) cookie. So, I think we can "color" this case closed!

I really appreciate the time and care you have put in on resolving this issue for me. This whole thread has been a real learning experience for me!!

Not to over-tax your "patience", but I'm still a bit puzzled about the Notepad/Clipboard thing. Frankly, I'm not aware my computer "has a Clipboard", nor do I have a clue about how to find it. (I even tried the standard "Copy-and-Paste" routine directly from the Results List, but that didn't work either.)

Later.

Hi,Koosharem.
    I'm glad you were able to remove the DoubleClick.Net cookie.

Not to over-tax your "patience", but I'm still a bit puzzled about the Notepad/Clipboard thing. Frankly, I'm not aware my computer "has a Clipboard", nor do I have a clue about how to find it.
    No problem at all.This page describes the Windows clipboard:
    http://www.worldstart.com/what-is-th...ows-clipboard/

And on Windows XP,there is a Clipbook Viewer that will show you what you have copied to the clipboard.You can access it by going to C:WINDOWS\system32 and doubleclicking clipbrd.exe.
    hth.

Zenobia

OK on the description of the Windows Clipboard -- now I know where all that "Copy Stuff" goes!! (I didn't know that place had a name!)

Now for the Clipboard Viewer. I followed your "directory path" to the Viewer, and clicked on "File -> Open". What I got was a Drop-Down window showing the contents of the "My Documents" folder -- none of which was the test "Copy" I had made just seconds before!

By now you are probably hoping my computer will crash so this (seemingly endless) chain of questions will stop!