Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Launch Spybot querie

lol!Yes,but then we'd have to polish our abacus or something.
    I missed it before.You need a space between the /AUTOCHECK and the rest of the line.
    "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /AUTOCHECK
    And then could I have another screenshot of your edit window after you add in the space,please?
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2011-04-15 at 16:41.

yea, your right about the polishing, hate it. I find it very difficult to reach those bits on the motherboard between the processor and the fans

Ok, I put the space in, however I do notice that the forward slash seems to become a back slash when I go back to view the line later. Probably nothing.
    Back here tomorrow. Thanks.

Looks like you're missing the quotation marks from the line. (these thingies-> ")
    Please add them in so the line looks like this:
    "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /AUTOCHECK
    The forward slash beside /AUTOCHECK should stay as is if you click apply and OK afterwards.
    After you add in those things,let me know if the scheduled scan worked.And if it doesn't,can I please have another screenshot of the edit window.Thanks.

Don't know how I missed those. Done it now. Will let you know how I got on tomorrow morning. Thanks.

Well some good news and some strange news.
    The good news is that Spybot scanned overnight.
    Now the strange stuff.
    My computer restarted at some stage but I am assuming that was just a coincidence. Then when I closed the Spybot main panel a dialog box 'Memory could not be read' was showing. Then when I closed that behind it was another error box, see attachments. I don't remember seeing those boxes before.

I would also like to ask how can I check if the Spybot updates were done. You remember before when I thought scans were being done but were not!

Thank you.

Glad the scheduled scan ran.
    I'll have a look through and see if I can find anything on those errors.

To check and see if the Spybot updates were done,you can open Spybot,click Mode,then Advanced Mode,then click Tools,then View Report.Over in the main window,click the button that says View Previous Reports.When the window opens,double click the Update downloads.log,and the updates logfile will open in the Spybot window.You can see from that logfile the time and date that updates were downloaded.It will look similar to this:
    18/04/2011 4:53:32 PM downloaded update Detection rules: Update

re:the strange stuff.
    Could you let the scheduled scan run again,and let me know if the errors happen again?

Scan again ok.

Error boxes attached. I have also attached copy of Update files log as I was pleasantly surprised to see that the updates seem to have been working fine during the past few weeks. Somehow I assumed that they were not being updated either.

Thanks again.

Zenobia, I am very worried I just noticed these files turning up in a number of my folders. Is this something to do with those hidden files we made changes to. See attachment.

Hi.
    Yes,those are all files that are normally hidden by windows,and it's normal for them to be present on your computer.Here's a description of thumbs.db:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...ache#Thumbs.db
    (There's a description there of ehthumbs,too.)

desktop.ini:
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001060.htm

If you follow this,it will help you to re-hide your files:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43031.html
    This will also re-hide SpybotSD.exe,but it will still be present in your Spybot folder,you just won't be able to see it anymore.

Your error boxes screenshot didn't attach.Did you get the same,or similar error messages as the ones from before,when the scheduled scan ran again?
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2011-04-19 at 17:36.