Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Launch Spybot querie

Scans and updates ok.
    Thank you for the information links.
    I have successfully reset the hidden files and folders settings.
    The error boxes still show when I close the 'Advanced Mode Panel' (used right name at last)
    Have attached again.

Is that the first time you've seen the "Please select some update files from the list first." message?

I found a couple things about Runtime error 216 to do with Spybot,but they were dated roughly about 2 years ago,so I'm not so sure they would apply to you.Some were malware related,and then a group of other people were having problems with the error,and it looks like it had to do with Firefox being open during the scan.
    I'm wondering if there might be a problem with some of the includes,but that's nothing more than a vague guess,at the moment.So,I'll see if I can find anymore about Runtime error 216 tomorrow,and if I can't,I'll see if I can find someone to help here.

And,just to have a little peek,would you be able to attach a screenshot of the edit window for me again,and could you also attach a screenshot of the Edit(Updater) window,too?

Are you using an administrator account on XP,or are you using a limited account?

Firstly my apologies again for sending you that old screenshot for convenience. The 'please select update files' part is not a problem anymore, I only get that when my internet connection drops overnight and S&D can't upadate. I have attached todays error boxes which are the current problem now.

I can see from the rest of your post that you probably credit me with a little too much existing computer knowledge. However I have just looked up the meanings of administrater and limited account. So as this is a home and private computer I think I'm right in saying that I am using an 'administrater account'.

Thank you again.

Hello,

*sneakingin*

About the "Runtime error 216":
    Please download a fresh advcheck here.
    Run the exe file, it is a manual update for your advcheck.dll.

You will also find a thread about this problem in our forum.

About "Select files from the list":
    It seems to be a problem with the compatibility under Windows Vista/7.
    You can solve the problem as follows:

1. Download this new SDUpdate.exe.

To use this beta file, extract the downloaded archive into the main application folder (usually C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\) and replace the old file with the new one.

2. If this does not help go to your SDUpdate.exe file in your program folder: 
    C:\Program Files\ Spybot - Search & Destroy\

Rightclick the file and choose properties.
    Then choose the tab compatibilty.
    There activate the checkbox in front of "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select from the drop down menu "WindowsXP". Now click "Apply" and "OK".

That should fix the problem.

This problem has also been discussed in our forum.

*sneakingout*

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thanks,Sandra.You must be psychic,you were the one I was going to ask for help on the 216 error.

Thank you Spybotsandra.
    How do I run a new advcheck.I think I downloaded it but cant find it. See my efforts via attachments.
    Thank you.

Wait, don't reply yet. Maybe I did learn something this week. Maybe its one of those hiddden files. I'll just twiddle with those settings again and see what happens.

From the looks of your attachments,no need to look for advcheck.dll.It was placed in your Spybot Search & Destroy folder,and overwrote the advcheck.dll already in there.

Hello Zenobia. All is well with my computer. It is scanning and updating perfectly and no error messages. I would like to thank you for your help and patience over the last couple of weeks. Clearly without it I would not have my S&D working overnight for me. Which birings me to another point. I can't seem to find a suitable forum to post this so forgive me if I do it here. You may however cut and paste it to a place that you think would be more appropriate.

As an average computer user it has been a difficult task for me to set my Spybot S&D to automatically udate and scan overnight. I imagine that a lot of 'average' home computer users like myself might also come up with the idea that they may like to have S&D scan overnight but may be fearfull of trying to adjust settings. I would respectfully suggest to SpybotS&D that it might be a good idea if it was somehow made a lot easier for the 'very average users' such as myself to make make the adjustments needed. Perhaps a one or two click solution for a default night run/scan at say 3am for instance might be useful. Perhaps technically this is not possible but I felt it was worth a mention.

Anyway, hopefully I have learned something here and thanks again to Zenobia and Spybotsandra for your help. It was most appreciated.

You're welcome,glad everything is working with the scheduled scan and updates.You might be an "average" computer user(and I consider myself as an average computer user in a lot of ways,still,too.),but you've been very willing to follow along with instructions,keep at it with respectfulness and good humour intact,and also post screenshots so I can see exactly where you are at/what is happening with Spybot.That really does make all the difference,and you did great.

As for the Scheduler section of Spybot,it actually uses your computer's task scheduler to set up a scheduled scan for Spybot,and while some things are a bit harder,I found that using it was easier than setting up scheduled tasks for other things in task scheduler,myself.

Hope you have a great day/evening.Cheers.