Thread: Steps To Take Before Un-installing Spybot 1.6.2

Default Steps To Take Before Un-installing Spybot 1.6.2

Hello, I want to un-install Spybot and I read somewhere before un-installing I may need to set things to default in order to not mess up any changes Spybot controlled. Is there anything I need to do before un-installing? Spybot doesn't always load right and becomes unresponsive. It doesn't load during the scheduled time and I have to use the task manager to get it to respond or end to restart. Should I do this in safe-mode?
    System details:
    Win. xp sp3, Super-AntiSpyware,Windows Firewall, CCleaner, Glarysoft, Avira AntiVirus, and Lavasoft Adware
    Your help in this matter is appreciated.

Hello,

Please deactivate the resident protection in Spybot:
    Run Spybot-S&D, switch to the "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" --> hit "YES" --> select "Tools" in the navigation bar on the left --> "Resident" and there you can untick the checkboxes in front of the two tools.
    Then run Spybot-S&D and select "Spybot-S&D" --> "Immunize" in the navigation bar on the left. Please hit "Undo".

Now you can completely uninstall Spybot - Search & Destroy like recommended in this link.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Sandra, I un-installed Spybot. How do I delete the file? Can you tell me how to remove any leftovers and what to look for in the registry? TY

Hello,

If you did not undo the immunization of Spybot - S&D before uninstalling it might also help to install a new host file.

You might also want to delete this registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Safer-Networking Ltd

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

If you did not undo the immunization of Spybot - S&D before uninstalling it might also help to install a new host file.

You might also want to delete this registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Safer-Networking Ltd

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Sandra, TY for your help. I did do the undo and it said some files were still protected under one of the browser that I never used so I'm assumming it was safe. They wouldn't un-protect.
    I don't understand what you want me to do with the new host file or why I need to do it. I'm not a computer whiz so I hope you understand. TY

Basically SpybotSandra was telling you what to do if you wanted to reset all the changes done by Spybot; this includes Immunization (added bad sites to your HOSTS file and your browser's block lists).