Thread: Hardware Freeware

Exclamation Hardware Freeware

I need to check the current Hardware to see if any hardware on my laptop has any damage to it, can anyone recommend some good freeware for this checkup! I had recently run into rain problem with my laptop in my back pack and want to run a full diagnostic to make sure all hardware components are working. I want to know if something is not showing up visually to me that might be broken so I can get it replaced! Would I know if some circuits on the mother board were fried, any help in this check up is much appreciated! The back pack was closed it was a light drizzle I ask because afterward my battery appears to have died! A lot people say I can only tell hardware damage by opening my laptop, unfortunately I find it hard to get to mother board on this one and find it only easy to get to memory and Hard drive!
    Last edited by tashi; 2011-04-18 at 02:00. Reason: Moved from Analysis Tools, plus various small utilities

Emeritus

The laptop manufacturer may have some diagnostic utilities, probably of limited use though. In my experience most components will either be working, not working or failing intermittently producing telltale signs one may notice during use of the machine. Then its trial and error as to what it may be.
    How Can I Reduce My Risk?

Post Hardware Check Up

Yes I have posted on this before but am adding these Sandra reports to see if my hardware is ok! Recently my battery had died after having been in a light drizzle with my laptop in my backpack no water seemed heavily in the backpack but it was moist! I am checking to see if all hardware is ok and not possibly contaminated with water damage. I may take it later to be inspected by a repair shop! I am mostly worried about the condition of the mother board and hard drive! Hard drive seems ok, but I get message 10008 replace hard disk when doing a diagnostic from bios but HD tune and all other software diagnostics from windows read that its in perfect health and normal!
    Last edited by tashi; 2011-04-25 at 20:24. Reason: Moved from Safer's Analysis Tools, plus various small utilities. Merged two topics

Hello Jack421,

You might try posting in the General Hardware forum at WhatTheTech.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Emeritus

message 10008 replace hard disk when doing a diagnostic from bios
    At the least, as a precaution I would pull off any data you dont want to lose, documents, photos, video etc.
    Laptops use a lot of proprietary components. I would visit the laptop vendors website and check there Support/Troubleshooting section for possible causes and solutions for that error message. Most also have support forums. Possibly they may also have utilities to check out the hard drive itself.

Hitachi HTS542516K9SA00 (160GB, SATA150, 2.5",
    5400rpm, 7MB Cache)
    I would visit the laptop vendor website before using any of these tools:
    Hitachi
    Hitachi HD Troubleshooting
    How Can I Reduce My Risk?