Thread: Need new Wireless router Which One? I am confused.Please Help.

Default Need new Wireless router Which One? I am confused.Please Help.

I need some help on getting a wireless router.

I have about 3 Laptops 2 running XP and one running Win 7.

I also have a PS3 and a Wireless Panny BD 85 blu ray player.

I have a ROuter from my Service provider in basement I have the main floor and also the second floor which currentl have great signal strengh with this set up. The problem is the provider has the router locked down and wont open any ports so my wireless blu ray player wont work right.

Please suggest a router for Internet surfing game playing ans movie streaming thanks a lot

How about either of these?

Linksys E2000 Advanced Wireless-N Router

Netgear Rangemax Dual Band Wireless N Gigabit Router

or ASUS RT-N56U R

One company I like would be Netgear. In my opinion, all wireless routers serve one purpose: to distribute a way for devices to connect to the Internet wireless or wired; the router acting as the provider. I like Netgear due to its affordability and its simple interface. The basic model supports "G" range; which should be DSL speeds. The "N" range, as far as I know, supports up to 300Mbps, which is insanely fast. So if you have some fiercely fast internet connection with fast speeds, then the "N" range brand is the one for you; since HD media streaming and internet surfing would be a breeze.

What you choose is up to you, your preference; all the routers perform the same function.

Emeritus

If your ISP provided the router then I would think they would support it. Have you called them about what your trying to do? I dont know why they would provide a crippled device. I have neither a PS3 or dvd player connected to my router but I dont think these devices need port forwarding to function as Internet devices.
    How Can I Reduce My Risk?

TWC controls everything myself or the SMC the router company can change any settings, PANNY says I need ports 80, 443 and 48705 open. We used a website to check and it says there closed. I was able to update firm ware and the unit says its connected but I cant do anything else I try to get to netflix and it says cant connect.

The bLu Ray player showes connected and I was able to updat the firmware, I just cant connect to any of the other features. I cant even see anything I get the cannot connect screen. Not even to the password stage yet.

Emeritus

Well i guess if you dont see anything in the routers web interface about port forwarding then you would need a different router, although i really dont know why that capability wouldn't be there unless its just some stripped down limited basic router your isp is providing you.

They have it locked cant get to the user interface.

Emeritus

totally worthless.

I've used SMC, netgear and tp-link with no complaints, but i just have computers running through them, no other devices. Most vendors have good guides, FAQ and support etc on there websites.

To fully utilize the Wireless-N your devices would also have to support that standard. Its backward compatible though so no problem if your adapters are 802-11b/g. As drragostea already said;

What you choose is up to you, your preference; all the routers perform the same function.

I have one Lap top thats a N.

It pisses me off that I cant change certain settings and now have to get a new router.

Emeritus

[sarcasm] this is so there scripted support can be limited to a simple "turn it off, wait 30 seconds then turn it back on" [/sarcasm]