Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spybot DOES work on Windows 98 !

Smile Spybot DOES work on Windows 98 !

Hello,

Over the past couple of years I have started a number of threads to report that Spybot was having trouble finishing scans on my Windows 98 computer, and trying to solve the problem from various angles. The issue specifically was that SS&D would run through 99.9% of the scan, and then come to a halt with an error message about an invalid page fault or something to that effect. (Details easily searchable on this forum under "Windows 98".)

Well, this week the system (independently of Spybot) got to the point where it became virtually unusable, with a growing number of "illegal operation" messages from various sources, so I finally broke down and did a clean install of Win98 on a new hard disk. After downloading all the critical Windows Updates and hunting down the various hardware drivers, the next thing I did was to install Spybot anew, update it, and run a scan.

Lo and behold, the scan finished! So whatever was causing Spybot to fail, was not related to Windows 98 -- or at least not directly.

So, for the remaining Win98 diehards out there, I can confirm that SS&D does still work well on that system... you just need to clean out the crud.

--JorgeA

Just as a heads up; Windows 98 and any other operating system prior to Windows 2000 Professional, support is discontinued. I'm glad and happy to hear that you had your problems resolved. However, no anti-spyware or anti-virus application can fully protect your machine from malicious threats on the Internet right now; nothing can substitute for Microsoft Updates (Windows 98 is no longer supported).

Thanks for the advisory concerning Spybot's support for Win98. It's too bad, although I can understand why.

Regarding the security aspects of continuing to use this OS, I employ several layers of defense --

1) I have the PC sitting behind a NAT router; the GRC.com "Shields UP!" test gives it a perfect score on that account. Basically, and if Steve Gibson is correct, then as far as bad guys looking for a PC to infect are concerned, my Win98 PC doesn't exist.

2) In addition to that hardware firewall, I use a software firewall to monitor/control what goes in and out.

3) I've been using Avast! 4.8 for antivirus protection, although updates for that will be ending any day now. However, there are still some (free or paid) AV alternatives for Win98 in existence and I have some candidates lined up.

4) Naturally, I lean on Spybot for supplementary protection, utilizing all of its resident and on-demand security features.

5) Furthermore, I have SuperAntiSpyware installed for secondary on-demand malware scanning.

6) On occasion I scan the computer via network from one of my more modern PCs.

7) When the time comes to download something, first I do a trial download on my Vista system which (in addition to Spybot) uses both the Windows Smart Screen and Norton's File Insight to check the downloaded files. Then I can either download the file on to the Windows 98 computer, or transfer it internally via my home network.

8) Finally (and possibly most importantly), in any case I don't do that much Web surfing on the Win98 system anymore, and then it's only to visit known sites and/or sites approved by Norton Site Safety on my Vista system.

Obviously the Windows 98 computer is no longer my main PC. But still, like a vintage car it's nice to be able to keep the old machine purring.

--JorgeA

Very interesting. I never did thought about keeping older operating systems as a vintage :D. However, there is no more room in my house to accommodate another computer .

Your approach described earlier is very thorough and detailed; I applaud you for that. Your knowledge should suit you well.

Thanks for the kind comments, drragostea!

The troubles that crop up with such an old system got me to learn some things about the workings of PCs in general and Windows in particular. I discovered that I couldn't any longer treat the machine as a "black box" that performed magic for me.

Hopefully, somebody out there still using Windows 98 will be able to benefit from this list of security measures.

--JorgeA

@ drragostea,

you say, "no anti-spyware or anti-virus application can fully protect your machine from malicious threats on the Internet right now" regarding Win 98. Can any app fully protect a XP, Vista or Win 7? I think not.

Thanks for your tips, JorgeA.

I run Win 98 4.10.2222 on my main/only system and it runs fine. Spybot also runs fine on it.

Actually, there is an entire underground of '98 users on the web (search Google for Win 98 forums, etc.). My two favorites are http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/8-windows-959898seme/ and
    http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm.

Keep that old system alive until she dies!

Lancer,

Thanks for the links! I'm aware of the MFSN Win98 forum, and it is great. MDGX didn't ring a bell just looking at the link, but when I went in I did remember it -- it's crammed to the top with useful stuff. Can't go wrong with either of these sites. Any other Win98 places that you like?

--JorgeA

Hi JorgeA, most of my links/info have come from those two sites. I do suggest looking at the Members Projects board at MFSN. With an unofficial service pack you can bring '98SE up to 2009/2010 security standards, making '98 nearly as safe as XP, Vista or Win 7. If you don't have a real time AV installed, for a freebie I recommend ClamWin with ClamSentinel. Also, since NTFS formatting is not recognized by '98 I find Paragon's NTFS for Win98 invaluable for reading/writing to USB flash/external drives created on more modern systems in NTFS. Need a '98 USB driver for your device? Check out Windows 98 USB Mass Storage Device Drivers.

Happy surfing, my friend.

PS My sincere thanks to Spybot/Safer for hosting these OT posts.

Hi Lancer,

Thanks a bunch for the new links!

The only one I knew about was for the USB driver from technicalassistance.co.uk. When I clean-installed Win98 last week, that was the first thing I downloaded after doing the Windows Updates.

I'll check out ClamWin as support for Avast 4.8 is ending any day now.

It's great to meet a fellow Windows 98 user. Happy surfing!

--JorgeA