Thread: Lost Wireless Connections-Can Anyone Help?

Default Lost Wireless Connections-Can Anyone Help?

Hi. Newbie here. Here's my tale.

1. MacAfee detected problem so I scanned.

2. They showed problem to fix, but wouldn't fix stating MacAfee not installed.

3. Contacted MacAfee on live chat line.

4. Was given 30 day free trial download of McAfee Total Protection package.

5. MacAfee installation window said to uninstall Spybot Search&Distroy.

6. In uninstalling SBS&D, a window suggested this wasn't necessary.

7. Before completing SBS&D uninstallation, I sent message to SBS&D re: running a test and would report back to SBS&D.

Here's the rest of my report:

8. Went back to McAfee after uninstalling SBS&D, was told to uninstall Windows Defender. I did not do this.

9. After installing McAfee, running scan and fixing problems,
    I reinstalled SBS&D, checked for updates, ran more scans...including one requiring logging off and then scanning again, fixed problems (including a cookie and coupon software removal), and immunized.

10. Now...I can't print from my wireless printer connection and the two other laptops in my home can't access internet...I can, however, on the PC that I am using now.

11. No wireless networking or printer problems prior to installing, uninstalling and reinstalling security software.

12. Tried to program wireless again.

13. Merged 3 access connections (any way to "un-merge" these?)

14. Do I need to set up a "network" to allow two other laptops & printer to work? (They just need internet & printer access.) I seem to remember they did not need a "network" before....maybe?

15. The PC uses Surfboard Cable Modem, Linksys wireless G Broadband with linksys phone adaptor, gateway wireless software and WiFi ready Canon printer.

16. Do firewalls or other security features block or interfere with wireless connections?

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME, ASAP?

My son, mom, dad, my students and I are all having serious time-sensitive project completion issues over this and would be SOOOOO GRATEFUL for any help, insight and/or guidance.

Sincerely and in Gratitude,
    Elizabeth

Hello Ehennigan,
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehennigan View Post
    was told to uninstall Windows Defender. I did not do this.
    Spybot-S&D is not an anti virus program however both McAfee's Total Protection package and Microsoft Security Essentials include anti virus software. Also check to make sure you do not have both Windows native firewall and McAfee's firewall activated and running at the same time.

Rule of thumb is one firewall/one anti virus program resident to avoid conflicts, loss of program efficiency and system lock up due to both software products attempting to access the same file at the same time.

Having more than one resident can cause system performance problems and other issues. So if that applies it needs to be addressed first.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016