Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Phoenix" False Positive

It does still flag the folder and a registry entry for the start menu. I do know that on the 2005-11-25 release it flagged one more directory (Which was the Start Menu folder) than with the 2005-12-2 release.

But it is still flagging the Phoenix folder in Program Files and the registry entry HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-183062753-716789552-782984527-1054\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu\Programs\Phoenix.

Default Just Making Sure I understand this...

(12/8/05) I just want to be clear on this before I continue ignoring the popup (because I'm reinstalling a computer and it's programs, and I can't reinstall a program if I keep deleting it's 'setup' SS&D-flagged-Phoenix file.)

Again, the public should still believe this is definitely a false positive, if a Setup.exe or a Setup1.exe is being flagged post 11/25 as Phoenix by an up-to-date install of SS&D (which *same exact file* was not flagged prior on the same system, and while at the same time all other current day security software today does not flag the same file), am I correct ?

Thanks for the clarification.

(Update 12/10/05) Just a quick note: as of just now, both a full scan and Resident no longer flag this. Appreciate all the hard work you do, and wishing you all a wonderful weekend!
    Last edited by mustbethedecaf; 2005-12-10 at 17:12.

Default Phoenix

With the new release from 2005-12-09 it is still flagging the Phoenix folder in Program Files and a registry entry.

Just letting you know.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Mike_F:

Please post the actual detection(s) that you are receiving and perhaps Buster can figure out what’s wrong with the detections and get the problem fixed with the next update.

Run another scan. After you are done, right click on the results list and select "Copy results to clipboard" then paste the clipboard into a new post.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

@Mike_F
    I just send you a pm!
    "The advantage of wisdom is that you can always act the fool. The opposite is quite tough."

K. Tucholsky

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

I sent you out a PM Buster.

Exclamation

Yesterday I tried again to install Earthwatch 4.01 (see earlier entries in this thread), and again SSD Resident flagged the Setup as Phoenix and killed it. :(

Got the same popup message as given in the earlier thread entry - #7.

The properties of the 'offending' program are given as

Description: Setup Bootstrap for Visual Basic Setup Toolkit
    Version: 6.0.81.69
    Copyright: Copyright © 1987-1998 Microsoft Corp.

The program name is : setup.exe.

Disabling SSDR allowed the setup to run. Subsequent SSD (2005-12-9 update), Ad-Aware and AVG scans report no problems
    Last edited by GladToBeGrey; 2005-12-14 at 11:28.

I finally found the entry which is responsible for the fp with earthwatch. It will be fixed in the next update going to be released tomorrow.
    "The advantage of wisdom is that you can always act the fool. The opposite is quite tough."

K. Tucholsky

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Default Earthwatch FP banished

Buster, just to confirm that I have reinstalled Earthwatch successfully - the false positive has gone

Thanks