Thread: Smitfraud-c. or not?

Default Smitfraud-c. or not?

Hello there!

I only recently have installed SBSD, in addition to AdAware which I've been using for years.

A complete scan with the tool shows up nothing but some harmless cookies, but when I want to play a game on Steam, say Team Fortress 2, Day of Defeat or whatever else I get a "SBSD found a process that's been identified as part of a malware" (translated from German so perhaps not 100% accurate)

hl2.exe - Smitfraud-C.

I have since done full scans with Avast and AdAware too, they find nothing. Does Smitfraud have the ability to somehow attach itself to game files like the hl2.exe (that's the exe powering all games that use the Source graphics engine - HalfLife2, Portal, TF2 etc etc etc) or is this maybe a false alarm?

I have since allowed one of them to run and did a scan afterwards and it seems no new disturbances turned up... So... Should I be worried or not? ^^

Retired

Hello,
    would it be possible to send that file to detections@spybot.info ? So we could see if it is a false positive

Best regards,
    Markus
    Team Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by MisterW View Post
    Hello,
    would it be possible to send that file to detections@spybot.info ? So we could see if it is a false positive

Best regards,
    Markus
    Team Spybot
    Ohkayyyy - Yesterday I have re-installed the games (needed to download them again first over Steam) and it seems they are "clear" now.

I *will* keep my eyes open though, maybe I find it again on some other old program that I didn't use in ages, then I'll let you know.

Okay, while cleaning up I found one:

The uninstall file for another game shows up. I'll send it out right away.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderKruge View Post
    Okay, while cleaning up I found one:

The uninstall file for another game shows up. I'll send it out right away.
    ... or not.

My email Server blocks me sending the file - no matter if "pure" or in a .rar archive for security reasons. Seems it thinks I have a malware problem as well...

oO

PS:

I just have received my "Portal 2" in the mail, installed it from DVD and clicked "play" and SBSD gives me a "Smitfraud-C." warning once more, this time for the portal2.exe ... :-/