Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CLick.Giftloader Re-appearing and possible rootkit infection.

Emeritus-Security Expert

Well, to see what this virus does, look through the Combofix report and look at all the legit windows files that where infected and replaced. Looking at the ESET log, there are many more files infected including entire programs.

Exactly what this virus stole if anything is hard to say but change all your passwords.

This is a file infector virus, it will infect files as quick as we clean them and I am sure there are 100s of more that are infected that we cant see.

Upgrading to Win 7 would be a good option but I am not sure if your computer is a candidate. It would have to be a compete format and reinstall , an upgrade would not work or you would just be installing the new operating system right on top of the infected one.

You may want to contact Dell for Recovery Disks to restore your computer to factory defaults.

Post here and let them know where your at and see what they suggest, all us forums work together so you can link them to this thread so they can see what we have done.
    http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showforum=119
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013-2014

ERROR MESSAGE 386
    No KeyBoard Detected
    Press F1 To Continue

Just a reminder that threads will be closed if no reply in 3 days.

alright Thanks.
    i Posted the topic. there http://forums.whatthetech.com/index....owtopic=118321

Is that okay?

Would any windows Xp recovery Disk work? I think one of my friends has one, would i be able to use theirs?

Emeritus-Security Expert

I dont believe so because it needs to bring your computer back to factory defaults and someone elses would be for a different system

I posted at WTT in your thread

ERROR MESSAGE 386
    No KeyBoard Detected
    Press F1 To Continue

Lightbulb

Saw your post. So All i will really backup that i need are the Microsoft programs and Symantec. i will read the guide on re-formatting/re-installing, and get more info on the discs. Sites saying they offer the recovery disks are mallicous correct?

Emeritus-Security Expert

Some are legit , some are not , its a crapshoot so stay away from them

Another place to post is at the Dell Forums. Ask if you can download the recovery disk to set your computer back to factory. When you got your Dell, I believe it had and option to do that ???

http://en.community.dell.com/support...s/default.aspx
    Last edited by ken545; 2011-04-28 at 01:27.

ERROR MESSAGE 386
    No KeyBoard Detected
    Press F1 To Continue

Question

it was used, i actually didnt pay anything for the system. Will this affect my ability to procure the required items?

Emeritus-Security Expert

Not sure, that between you and Dell.

Another option would be to get a Win XP disk on eBay, there selling for around $25 or so than you can go to the dell site and download the drivers you need for the video , sound and lan.

The WTT forum can help you with the format and reinstall and getting the correct drivers

ERROR MESSAGE 386
    No KeyBoard Detected
    Press F1 To Continue

Question

that sounds reasonable ill look into that.
    Wont that go against the whole using someone elses Xp recov. disk?

You told me NO windows update to 7. While reading through the reformatting etc. i also took a peek at the Windows 7 way.

Would doing a custom install, not update, be worht a try? Then from the "old windows folder" move the program files to a Flash drive, or perhaps the new windows, if its possible. Then after the first install, re-install windows 7 to re-format it using the Windows 7 disk?

Im not trying to be difficult i just have these crazy ideas, i just thought id pitch it out there.

Emeritus-Security Expert

What I am trying to say is that I could be wrong but it sounds like your system may not be a candidate for Win7, it may not have the requirements.

You can try this tool
    http://windows.microsoft.com/upgradeadvisor

On eBay, you can buy an the actual Windows XP CD legally, with the newer operating systems out now , Vista and Win7, the XP CDs are going for a song, this is not the recovery disk I am talking about, its the full windows CD that is brand new still in the box.

Remember, most of your programs are infected, not a good idea to back them up and reinstall them

ERROR MESSAGE 386
    No KeyBoard Detected
    Press F1 To Continue

just read your WTT post. DO NOT backup programs.

That means i dont rally have anything i need to make a back up. Ill try to order the disc from an un-comprimised computer. Thanks Again