Thread: Computer Security Question

Thumbs up Computer Security Question

What other types of security software should I have in addition to Spybot, antivirus, and firewall?

also I am using AVAST Antivirus, and Windows Firewall, and recommendations for better (free) programs?

Thanks.
    Last edited by tashi; 2011-04-24 at 18:41. Reason: Moved from Spybot-S&D support. :-)

Emeritus- Malware Team

Hi GnarHoff

What operative system do you run? If you are using the built-in Windows XP firewall, it is not recommended as it does not block outgoing connections. This means that any malware on your computer is free to "phone home" for more instructions. Simply put, Windows XP contains a very basic firewall. This (XP) firewall is NO replacement for a dedicated software solution. If you are running Vista or W7, then your firewall should suffice.

I'd also recommend you to download and install Spywareblaster. This program will not run in memory, but will add an extra security layer in your machine:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial49.html

Finally, in the following topic you will find some info on how to improve your security:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=279
    -- WTT Classroom Graduate --
    -- ASAP Member --
    -- UNITE Trained Eliminator --

I am using Windows 7, I should have mentioned that.

But thanks for these threads, they have a lot of good info.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some essential software, and from the looks of it, I've been doing good so far. Not a single detection of spyware or virus since I bought my laptop.

Again, Thank you.

Similarly, I prefer MVPS HOSTS (a host file addition); it works towards the same goal as SpywareBlaster in a way, but it is not a program.