Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Resident denies Registry changes

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnwrites
    Mine are blank even with fulll screen? I have version 1.4 fully updated
    The information in the lists is only populated when you answer a TeaTimer pop-up dialog with "Remember this decision".

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

My Resident pop-up is now offering a choice, and accepting "allow Registry changes" (happened twice during download of IE6 critical update just now) - that's a relief.

I cannot remember if I changed any particular options, but right-clicking the Resident icon in the taskbar and selecting "Resident", shows a window with only two ticks - for "display dialog when blocking"and "use Resident in IE sessions".
    In the main Spybot application, the window after selecting "Tools" and the"Resident" line has both options ticked for "SD Helper" and "TeaTimer".
    Hope this helps anyone else afflicted .

( I have applied the TeaTimer pop-ups visibility solution suggested by MD USA SPYBOT FAN and it works well, thanks).
    Last edited by scotty_; 2005-12-14 at 21:30.

I also have no data on the "Black and White" list screen. (I know I have selected "Remember this decision" before.)
    Anyway, I downloaded the Critical Update to my Win98SE system today, but had the same problem as others here with the popup window. The change that the Windows Update wanted to apply was denied.

12/19/05 9:02:05 AM Denied value "wextract_cleanup0" (new data: "rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\advpack.dll,DelNodeRunDLL32 "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\IXP000.TMP\"") added in System Startup global entry!

Any advice on how to allow this change is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

madysen:

There is no facility within Spybot/TeaTimer to reverse changes made to the registry. You have to redo whatever you were doing so that the Registry change is done again (or manually edit the Registry).

Although I can't be sure, the entry that was denied appears to be a something designed to finalize the update and cleanup your system.

The only suggestion that I have is:
    1. To turn off TeaTimer:
      • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident
        Uncheck (if checked) the following:
        • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.
      • Make sure that TeaTimer is not running by checking for the TeaTimer System Tray Icon. If the icon is there:
        • Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident. TeaTimer should close.
    2. Do a system restore to a point prior to installing the "Critical Update to my Win98SE".

Additional notes: TeaTimer Workaround/Fix

When the final version of Spybot 1.4 was released it unfortunately contained a defect in the code that displays the TeaTimer’s user interface for answering options in the registry change monitor portion of the program. The “Allow change” and “Deny change” buttons are not displayed properly in the pop-up dialog. On my system the very top edges of the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are showing and I am still able to select the options (see the attachment for button locations). On some systems the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are not visible at all. I also can check "Remember this decision" since it is visible (as can most people). If no portion of the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are showing, you can answer TeaTimer's popup dialog (English language version) by pressing "A" on your keyboard for "Allow change" or "D" for "Deny change".

Please be aware that if you close TeaTimer's popup dialog without answering it, the registry change will be denied.

If you can't deal with the problem that way until it is fixed, you can:
    1. Apply one of the workarounds found in the following pinned (Sticky) thread that fixes the pop-up dialog so the buttons are visible:
      Solution to fix the pop-ups in TeaTimer
      http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=122
    2. Disable TeaTimer as follows:
      • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
      • Uncheck the following:
        • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thank you for taking the time to help me.
    A co-worker tells me I can't do a system restore since I have Win98..
    But I will work on this tomorrow.
    Wonder if the fact that this step in the Windows Update was not completed is a big deal?

madysen:

I'm sorry, my mistake. I misread read your post. I was thinking that you had ME vs. SE. System restores are only possible with ME and XP. :o

Ok, thanks.
    Should I try to manually change the Registry? Any tips so I don't royally mess things up?

Thumbs up popup window reg change

Thank you for the help. Hope I can return the favor sometime soon.
    :p :dancing-c