Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spybot-S&D 2.0 Beta 1 release thread

Sorry, Can't find edit button but may I offer some suggestions:

In the Spybot start centre, why not rename "manage autostarts" to just "tools". Additionally, if you uncheck "experienced mode", you can't see any option to update the program?

Also, what does the update integrity do? I'm a bit confused for that bit and how the updating all works.

Looks great though, spybot is BACK !!!

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback!
    The autostarts section is only for the autostart.
    The tools sections has it's own section after you have changed to the experienced user mode. It is named "Settings & More Tools".
    About the update function:
    The updates are completely automated.
    You do not need to do anything about it in this version, regarding to the old version where you have to update for yourself.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by Daz1967 View Post
    I had the exact same issue as you, Arctucas, although I uninstalled the Spybot beta from Safe mode after two STOP 0x50 errors and everything appears back to normal. The crashes occurred within two minutes of booting into Windows (7 SP1 64-bit) for me. I've never had any problems with the older v1.6.2 so I'll stick with that I think until the RC or final build.

Blue screen crashes are a very, very rare occurence for me and usually a result of software conflicts (e.g. HD 5870 CFX + EVEREST) or dodgy drivers/software; I can the number I've had over the past three years on one hand and still have fingers spare!!!
    Here is what I have found:

"STOP 0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Usual causes: Defective hardware (particularly memory - but not just RAM), Faulty system service, Antivirus, Device driver, NTFS corruption, BIOS

Bug check 0x50 usually occurs after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware (usually related to defective RAM, be it main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM).

Another common cause is the installation of a faulty system service.

Antivirus software can also trigger this error, as can a corrupted NTFS volume."

I do not believe I have a hardware issue.

A faulty service could be it, but doubtful since it only happens with SB installed, unless SB runs a service?

Antivirus, possibly Kaspersky interfering?

Corrupted volume, chkdsk finds no errors.

Hopefully, the Spybot team will sort it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctucas View Post

Another common cause is the installation of a faulty system service.
    Thank you for your hints. We will focus on that while trying to sort this out.
    (m/f)

Talking Spelling Error Found.

Thanks for all your hard work, I appericate the new beta version.

Here is a screenshot I did from the install. Noticed the spelling of the word Huge is spelled Huger.
    Attachment 7725

Thought you should know!

Have a good day!

Default Error creating quarantine archive

Ran beta today and after scan trying to fix errors received:

Error creating quarantine archive!

An error occured while trying to archive Internet Explorer into the quarantine.

Cannot create file "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\Quarantine.reg" . Access is denied

All items were then shown as unselected and it was not possible to re-select them.

Ran 1.6.2 and it found no malware! Both on latest updates

Hope this helps as the new interface is excellent.

Just registered for the purposes of providing feedback. I've been eagerly awaiting a 2.0 beta for a long time and I had yesterday's event marked on my calendar.

I'm running Windows XP 32-bit on a dual-core system.

Immunization seems to work until it reaches Thunderbird (Installations) where it stops. The brick-building animation continues but it never progresses any further. I did not remove the immunization from my old Spybot install - I don't know if that's an issue or not.

I turned the On-Access Monitor service off because it continuously kept the cpu between 20 and 40% at all times.

I tried creating a Boot CD. I installed Windows AIK like it asked, and moved onto step 2. However the list in step 2 was empty and the "Next" button grayed out so I could not proceed. I installed some of the "-alyzer" programs to see if they'd show up in that list, but they didn't.

Twice I had enabled/disabled some of the services and received a memory error. If I can reproduce it again I'll try to gather more information.

Not sure what the portable option during the install does - would it create a portable copy on my computer, or would it install it normal and enable an in-program feature to generate a portable copy on a removable drive? (The latter would be an incredibly useful feature) In any case, I don't see any portable-ness anywhere.

The main scanner worked like a dream for me. It is significantly quicker than in the previous version for me (cut from about 90 minutes to 26) and didn't show any problems.

The system repair scanner seems functional, but one thing that confused me was the progress bar. It would make sense to add a second progress bar that shows progress for the entire operation, but it's not really a big deal.

I hope this is helpful. I'm really enjoying the new interface and it's pleasant to use. It feels like a software Swiss army knife! I will try it on my Windows 7 box sometime.

Default Error creating quarantine archive - amendment

Apologies...I should have said that I am running Vista 32bit

Quote Originally Posted by Lozboz View Post
    Ran beta today and after scan trying to fix errors received:

Error creating quarantine archive!

An error occured while trying to archive Internet Explorer into the quarantine.

Cannot create file "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\Quarantine.reg" . Access is denied

All items were then shown as unselected and it was not possible to re-select them.

Ran 1.6.2 and it found no malware! Both on latest updates

Hope this helps as the new interface is excellent.
    Last edited by Lozboz; 2011-05-12 at 22:30.

Unhappy

Feel really bad about this.

Sorry to say the stumbling block was the SDTray autostart entry similar to others who have experienced crashes. But unlike them I couldn't even get into the safe mode and had to use a boot cd to do the needful.

No minidumps either hence just unable to provide you any debugging information.

The sys file caused my system to not startup at all i.e. failing OS boot at loading sys drivers. Had to disable autorun entry via Autoruns using offline connectivity.

XP SP3, Comodo 5.3 Firewall+Defense , Avast 6.0.1125 AV Only, No other security software in active mode all running as on demand.

Would be good if the installation process also had a option to disable the startup stuff like it had for the other services like Immunizer, TeaTimer etc.... which I had disabled as I just wanted to explore features without it interfering with other s/w.

Also any reason why there are so many services ? Over modularization ;-)

Anyways sorry you still have some more days of effort ahead.

Best Regards
    Last edited by temp479; 2011-05-13 at 08:07.

When running SDTools...

I get error at File Properties. Additionally, it goes crazy. (Error repeats forever)

And you have tiny TODO thing still which is still nice!

And I almost forgot! How to use iPhone scanner and Script Editor (SD Folder, not available in Start Center)?
    Last edited by Tom.K; 2011-05-13 at 12:59.