Thread: Internals in Firefox 4 ?

Default Internals in Firefox 4 ?

I noticed something on I believe Kaspersky's threatpost site about a 3D rendering thing being dangerous. It seems that entering about:config into the address line and hitting enter gets you into some internal settings in Firefox where you could change (and mess up) a lot of settings. I looked at mine and some of the settings are not default but "owner selected". I wonder if Spybot Immunize changed some of the settings in the interest of security?
    On the Kaspersky site it tells how to turn off the 3D thing or webgl or whatever it is that may open a vulnerability. Perhaps Spybot can make an update turn off this 3D thing during immunization or something.

I wonder if Spybot Immunize changed some of the settings in the interest of security?
    I don't think Spybot Immunization changes any hidden Firefox preferences - and I don't think it should. I wouldn't want any program changing that kind of preferences in Firefox or any other program on my computer.

But I think you are right. You should disable WebGL in Firefox for now.
    Go to the address bar and type: about:config
    Filter: webgl.disabled
    Double click the entry to change the value from false to true.

You can read more about the security problem here at the H Security: http://www.h-online.com/security/new...m-1240567.html
    Last edited by Joergenr; 2011-05-12 at 15:44.

I wonder if Spybot Immunize changed some of the settings in the interest of security?
    I don't think Spybot Immunization changes any hidden Firefox preferences - and I don't think it should. I wouldn't want any program changing that kind of preferences in Firefox or any other program on my computer.

But I think you are right. You should disable WebGL in Firefox for now.
    Go to the address bar and type: about:config
    Filter: webgl.disabled
    Double click the entry to change the value from false to true.

You can read more about the security problem here at the H Security: http://www.h-online.com/security/new...m-1240567.html

Lightbulb

Spybot does change cookperm.txt, hostperm.1, or permissions.sqlite (depending on Firefox version), so it's not utterly beyond belief to change prefs.js; still, all of the Immunization options for Firefox and related browsers deal with that permissions file and no other.