Thread: Suggestions to the public version of Spybot S&D

Default Suggestions to the public version of Spybot S&D

In the GUI:

Below "Scan the system", I'd like to see in the description: "Full system scan".

It's not needed with two donate signs in the GUI. It would be easier if one of these was replaced with a quarantine sign instead, and remove the quarantine sign in advanced mode.

Wouldn't it be easier to put the Update-sign in the non-advanced mode?

Scanning:

Make the look a lot easier. I feel it's kind of hard to understand the whole thing with it. All these pop-ups, etc. It's not needed with all these stuff below scan, associated tasks, online, details and legend on the left side. I feel the look you use now in the program seems like an advanced mode option. If you can fix this, and make it all a lot easier, it would be lovely. A simple thing like the scan look like you had in version 1.6.2, included a quick scan would be nicer.

The Spybot-sign down-right on the screen(there Windows Update sign appears, your antivirus, etc):

The start window of Spybot S&D doesn't open/appear when you double-click on the sign.

In the startup menu, I don't like the system scan sign. I know I can remove it, but it's not needed for me. I'd like to see an option whether or not you want it there, instead of automatically put it there.

In overall, it is improved. But it's hard to understand the scan "settings", and it's a lot of un-needed applications there which makes it cumbersome to use it. Would be lovely if you could make it more easy-to-use.

Edit:

Installer: I couldn't complete the installation of Spybot S&D 2.0.3 Beta because my antivirus program Eset Nod32 5 Beta "detected" some malicious activity or found some files malicious. I had to disable Nod32 before I could finish the installation. Just to let you guys know. I know that's not your problem, but I just had to inform you. I have informed the Eset people about the issue.

Please excuse me for speaking bad english, or explain badly.

Best regards,
    Imageek
    Last edited by imageek; 2011-05-12 at 15:07.

Hello,

Thanks for reporting.
    Your items were reported/inserted in our bugtracker.

The update has intentionally been placed to the experienced user mode,
    as the updates are completely automated in Spybot 2.0.
    So a "normal" user won't need the update feature.

The pop-ups should explain the user a little bit more what Spybot is doing.
    We had complaints before from users who did not know what the software was doing, and this should be a little guideline.

A quickscan option is available in the settings (it has also been available in 1.6.2).

The system tray icon of Spybot 2.0 is different than the old TeaTimer.
    It is named "System Tray" and will give you some options by right clicking it.
    It is not meant to be to open the start page of Spybot with a doubleclick,
    because such a start page does not exist really like in the old version.
    2.0 is divided in it's own modules, and the Welcome Center would be the right module to use in this case.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thanks for the reply.

Are there any way of disabling the detections of registry value, registry key, registry change and registry remove? I know there are some left-overs of a malicious software or malware in the registry, but if you can only detect them, instead of all those "left-overs", or what I should call them.. It almost seems like Spybot works like a malware scanner with CCleaner inbuilt. It would be nice if you could make it to two separate programs, or let there be a "mini-program" inside Spybot which makes you able to delete cookies, temporary internet files, cache, bookmarks, and fix the registry instead of doing this before you scan, or detect all these stuff during the scan.

Uh Sandra, if you compare 1.6.2 and 2.0.4 for scanning, how big is difference? I just wonder as some people said it takes about 1 hour. Maybe integrate background mode for other stuff too?