Thread: Spybot 2.0 Beta requires WinXP or greater to install/run

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Spybot 2.0 Beta requires WinXP or greater to install/run

well I did get a chance to install and run Spybot S&D 2.0 beta under WinXP and Vista. it was okay for the most part.

attempting to install and run it under pre-XP versions of Windows is another story.

i get this error message when attempting to install Spybot 2.0 beta under Win2000 SP4 during the early setup stages:

Attachment 7726

that's so disappointing for those using Win2k or older editions of Windows.

also the spybot2.chm help file in the beta mentions win95, 98, 2000, me, xp, vista and does not even mention windows seven (uh-oh, some win7 users could be outraged by this, heehee; is spybot 2 even compatible with win7? i'm sure it is but its help file doesn't even say about it). hopefully that help file gets updated bigtime when the final release of spybot 2 comes out.

and Microsoft improved UAC (user account control) in windows 7, making it less annoying than in Vista. I hope the Spybot help file also contains info on Win7's UAC feature as well.

So for now, Spybot S&D 2 beta can only be used under WinXP, Vista, 2008 and Seven. not sure if the final release will support pre-XP versions of Windows.
    Last edited by noel-pr7; 2011-05-12 at 21:32.