Thread: Beta Uninstall

Default Beta Uninstall

Cannot get Beta to uninstall. it hangs up and never completes.

Where it hangs up? Try to stop all Spybot services first (click on Welcome screen banner to open window for it). You can try to remove files from Spybot 2.0 folder except unin000 files, but don't completely remove them otherwise you won't be able to even remove it as you were supposed to. Try to re-run uninstaller then.

After uninstall there are several empty folders left ...

I hate to say that the beta has been giving me nightmares on a PC I just picked up today and installed it on. I have gotten BSODs (all of which indicate a page fault in nonpaging "space" [I can't recall the exact wording and it disappears very quickly before the crash]) when I attempted to start the user interface. I had the uninstall hang twice with BSODs and after the last attempt I now no longer have the desktop shortcut or the the system tray process running, but Spybot Search & Destroy 2 still shows up in the Programs and Features control panel.

If I attempt to uninstall it now I get the message: Messages file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\unins000.msg" is missing. Please correct the problem or obtain a new copy of the program. (See attached screenshot)

For obvious reasons I don't want to obtain a new copy of the program but do not know what to do next. I really want to remove all traces of the v2 beta and install the latest stable 1.6 version.

Any advice about what to do next to avoid making things worse would be very much appreciated.

This is occurring on an ASUS Notebook K40IJ/K50IJ series running Win7 Home Premium 64-bit, Intel Pentium Dual Core T4500 2.3GHz, with 4GB RAM.

Brian

Hello,

@control:
    Please make a fresh system start, then you should be able to delete those left over folders.

@britechguy:
    How did you try to uninstall?
    Via the add and remove programs in Windows?
    The uninstall file in the program folder of Spybot?
    Or through the Windows start menu - Programs - Spybot-S&D 2 - Uninstall?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

I had problems uninstalling it as well (I had to uninstall it due to high cpu usage, 50-100%). No matter what method I used it would always hang. Finally I was able to remove in safe mode using Revo and more than 250 leftovers were found...

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

@control:
    Please make a fresh system start, then you should be able to delete those left over folders.
    I have restarted but did not want to manually remove *anything* prior to receiving "clearance" to do so. What I would really like to achieve as well is to have the listing removed from the Programs control panel, but as my last message noted that's where things get hung up.

@britechguy:
    How did you try to uninstall
    Via the add and remove programs in Windows?
    Yes, I always go this route first.

The uninstall file in the program folder of Spybot?
    Or through the Windows start menu - Programs - Spybot-S&D 2 - Uninstall?
    I'd not tried either of these methods and as of the moment Spybot S&D 2 is no longer showing up in the Start->Programs menu.

If it is possible, would you please confirm for me that a manual delete of the Spybot S&D 2 folder in the Program Files (x86) system folder followed up by a CCleaner run to tidy up the registry would be OK and not cause any additional problems?

Thanks,
    Brian

Hello Brian,

It should be OK, but there is no need for.
    You also can delete the folder by hand after a fresh system start.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot