Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Does NOT support Windows 2000?

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Welland,Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Well, by the date on Tom.K's post this is almost a necropost but I disagree with what BW~Merlin said and many users here would take issue as well:

    http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/35-windows-nt420002003/

    Been using Spybot since I first saw it at Majorgeeks.com.
    Hope support for W2kP continues. I get dismayed when I see good utilities drop support* [almost seems that they're getting orders from Redmond to do so]. Yet I've kept W2k alive through the use of open source software like VLC. This despite going back to Linux after a 15 year absence from it.

    *Like the softphone app from freephoneline.ca!

    Been unaware though this forum existed....though been too busy elsewhere..only alerted when I just saw the listings at majorgeeks change, mentioning this 2.0 beta.
    1.6.2.0 has served me well and I hope it survives the introduction of 2.0.

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default Support for 1.6.2 To Be Dropped?

    Hello:

    Is support and updates for Spybot S&D v. 1.6.2 to be dropped when the final release of v 2.0.x is made available? I have a Windows XP/ME dual-boot system and was wondering if I will be able to continue to use Spybot S&D v. 1.6.2 (with updated definitions) on the Windows ME drive.

    Thanks.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    114

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Browncoat View Post
    almost seems that they're getting orders from Redmond to do so
    They only do so indirectly: In the end it gets to be too difficult to both take advantage of the new features of the API of later versions of Windows while also supporting legacy versions, and once the userbase of the old versions dwindles to near zero, they'll just say the product is unsupported once some build no longer works on the old version.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Tom.K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Universe / Milky Way / Solar System / Earth / Europe / Croatia
    Posts
    735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ojmn1 View Post
    Hello:

    Is support and updates for Spybot S&D v. 1.6.2 to be dropped when the final release of v 2.0.x is made available? I have a Windows XP/ME dual-boot system and was wondering if I will be able to continue to use Spybot S&D v. 1.6.2 (with updated definitions) on the Windows ME drive.

    Thanks.
    Sorry, but there was announcement that 1.x updates are no longer going to be supported.
    N/A.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    114

    Exclamation

    Will it still be possible to use the manual updater, or will the updates all move to some format not supported by 1.x? I already have noticed that the old version of the Immunization module does not detect one of the listings for Internet Explorer Plugins that the Beta version does detect...

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom.K View Post
    Sorry, but there was announcement that 1.x updates are no longer going to be supported.
    where, Tom.K? (url or link to that announcement please so that there is proof)

    support for 1.x updates should NOT be dropped until after Spybot 2.0 goes final.
    Last edited by noel-pr7; 2011-08-17 at 18:21.

  7. #17
    Senior Member Tom.K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Universe / Milky Way / Solar System / Earth / Europe / Croatia
    Posts
    735
    N/A.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom.K View Post
    This announcement was about versions older than 1.6.x.

    Support for 1.6.x will not immediately stop when 2.0 final is released.

    daemon

  9. #19
    Senior Member Tom.K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Universe / Milky Way / Solar System / Earth / Europe / Croatia
    Posts
    735

    Default

    , my mistake.
    N/A.

  10. #20
    Esteemed Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Browncoat View Post
    Well, by the date on Tom.K's post this is almost a necropost but I disagree with what BW~Merlin said and many users here would take issue as well:

    http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/35-windows-nt420002003/

    Been using Spybot since I first saw it at Majorgeeks.com.
    Hope support for W2kP continues. I get dismayed when I see good utilities drop support* [almost seems that they're getting orders from Redmond to do so]. Yet I've kept W2k alive through the use of open source software like VLC. This despite going back to Linux after a 15 year absence from it.

    *Like the softphone app from freephoneline.ca!

    Been unaware though this forum existed....though been too busy elsewhere..only alerted when I just saw the listings at majorgeeks change, mentioning this 2.0 beta.
    1.6.2.0 has served me well and I hope it survives the introduction of 2.0.
    What those citing cost to upgrade from Windows 2000 (W2K) to a current operating system are ignoring is that the hardware originally used to run W2K will usually be unable to effectively run Spybot S&D 2.0 anyway. This is becuase the new version has finally dropped the requirement to support the Windows 9x versions, so it's beginning to fully utilize the abilities of modern hardware, which most W2K systems weren't delivered on. I finally recently dumped my own Windows 2000 based system, which I'd only kept until I could properly remove all important data, since it could barely even run Spybot S&D 1.6.2 with scans taking over an hour.

    If you are running W2K on a much newer platform this was simply a bad decision, since a newer more capable operating system was available when that hardware was sold and W2K was for business with consumer use never supported. The only valid reasons for this were either the replacement of a failed motherboard or the issue of archaic software that only runs on an older operating system. In any case, both of these problems are much more effectively resolved by replacement of either the operating system and/or the archaic software. Any business which can't afford to do this, especially education where using outdated software is a disservice to the customer (student), is marginal at best and should be replaced by it's more efficient and forward thinking competitors.

    The more important reason that W2K support is pointless is that the platform has a key security issue similar to Windows 9x. This is that Windows XP is the first platform which included the Windows firewall, which was added as part of the core security improvements within Service Pack 2 for XP. This is the major reason that Windows Defender as well as other Microsoft security products have never supported any platform older than Windows XP SP2.

    Though it might be considered 'nice' by some for Spybot S&D to continue to support the archaic Windows 2000 platform, as with the seemingly never-ending Windows 9x support before it this has simply resulted in continual foot-dragging and delay in the further development of Spybot S&D itself, due to the excessive amount of resources consumed to continue this support. If you don't believe or understand this, go back and read the post by PepiMK in the post referenced by Tashi above, since this gives a bit of insight into the added work required to maintain an outdated (and unsupported) platform.

    Those of you who were wondering why it took so long for Spybot S&D 2.0 to become available even in its current beta form, this is a huge part of the reason. Continuing to support outdated operating systems has badly delayed the forward movement of Spybot and will continue to if those who care about it don't help the Spybot Team make effective decisions. Those few still using an outdated operating system are quite simply creating their own problem(s), so why should everyone else suffer as a result of their bad decision?

    Bitman

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •