Thread: Beta 2 - observations and problems

Default Beta 2 - observations and problems

Have been using 1.6 for quite a long time, and had a very positive experience with the Beta 2.

The 1.6 found 7 different problems with 21 entries.. all in Browsers...
    When clciking to fix problems in 1.6, S&D totally locked up!! happened over and over and as administrator.

Intalled Beta 2.
    Installed without problem.
    Found the same above problems.... but gave a much better display...

When fixing problems, got surprising error...
    "Cannot create file - C:\Program Files\ Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\quarantine.reg"
    Access Denied.

It does appear the the Beta 2 did remove the problems....

All in all... a very positive experience from a long time user...
    Thanks

Hello,

Thanks for reporting.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by charington View Post
    Have been using 1.6 for quite a long time, and had a very positive experience with the Beta 2.

The 1.6 found 7 different problems with 21 entries.. all in Browsers...
    When clciking to fix problems in 1.6, S&D totally locked up!! happened over and over and as administrator.

Intalled Beta 2.
    Installed without problem.
    Found the same above problems.... but gave a much better display...

When fixing problems, got surprising error...
    "Cannot create file - C:\Program Files\ Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\quarantine.reg"
    Access Denied.

It does appear the the Beta 2 did remove the problems....

All in all... a very positive experience from a long time user...
    Thanks
    charington, Beta 2 of Spybot 2.0 doesn't exist...at least not yet.
    only download available is Spybot 2.0 beta 1.

can anyone from the Spybot team confirm if there was a 2nd beta of Spybot 2.0 available after the 1st beta was released? there's been some confusion here.

He just meant the beta of Spybot 2.0.

Default Memory leak?

It appears that the longer S&D 2.0 Beta 1 is running the larger and larger the SDWSCSvc.exe memory usage gets. Today it was at 1.2 GB of usage before I stopped and restarted it, restoring the size to a respectable 1,500 KB. Is this a known issue?

*Edit: After looking a little closer into this, I noticed that approximately every 5-15 seconds that process grew by between 8 and 20 KB. So after a few days of running this process could get quite huge.
    Last edited by tviolet; 2011-06-06 at 01:36. Reason: Observational update

Why does SDWSCSvc.exe maintain an open connection to the spybot sd server and continuously transmit data from the client to the remote host?

Default On comments and observations

I've been using Spybot Search & Destroy for over 4 years at home as an alternative antivirus scanner.
    Just want to make clear that my main antivirus is McAfee just because my ISP provides it as part of the subcription plan and for a very low fee I can use it in the 3 PCs we have a home.
    My experience with the free version has been very satisfactory at detecting malware that McAfee sometimes doesn't.
    The free version, as you know, does not install any resident services which the beta release for version 2 does.
    So my comments are related to the resident modules of this beta release.
    I use Windows 7 64-bit pro and as I mentioned I have McAfee installed and on top of it I installed the beta version. I actually didn't expect any resident modules to be installed. Any way, it installed nicely and, when I turn on my PC both antiviurs start their work. So far no conflicts but I noticed that S&D consumes a lot of resources.
    On one side: The process called SDMonSVC is always active consuming not less of 3% of CPU (image of task manager attached) and on the other side among all 5 resident modules (SDTray.exe, SDFWSvc.exe, SDMonSvc.exe, SDFSSvc.exe and SDUpdSvc.exe) generate around 200 TCP connections (see second image), when the normal case is around 20 connections.
    This causes a bit of slowness I didn't expect (maybe added the fact that there are two scanners for every access I make - S&D and McAfee).
    So far this is comments I wanted to share..

Now, there is a bit of problem...
    I have tried disabling all resident services, but this works only as long as I don't turn off the PC. Every time it starts again all resident modules are active once again. I believe this should allow the user to select which features to keep active.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by peteship View Post
    I have tried disabling all resident services, but this works only as long as I don't turn off the PC. Every time it starts again all resident modules are active once again. I believe this should allow the user to select which features to keep active.
    If you want to permanently turn off the services you need to run services.msc, search for the service you want to turn off in the list, and then change the Start Up Type from Automatic to Manual.