Thread: Spybot and new Firefox feature

Exclamation Spybot and new Firefox feature

Hi!

I reported a bug to Mozilla, but the guy who answered didn't appear to care much. He suggested I inform you about the problem. I think both teams should look for a fix.

A new feature from Firefox is a centralized page to control permissions of a website, like block or accept a cookie from a site. This new feature is the Nightly version of Firefox for a couple of days. You must type "about:permissions" in the url bar.

When you hit enter, Firefox will load the complete list of websites you have visited, or block something from it, i don't really know exactly.
    But the immunization feature from Spybot turns the user experience really bad, because it adds thousand of websites to the list (probably because it blocked something, like cookie), and that makes Firefox hang for minutes.

Sorry for my poor english.
    I registered myself here on the forum just to report this problem, that I think it's very important because it's going to affect millions of users that use both programs. Luckily, first Firefox version with this feature is 6.0, which still is 5 months away from the big public.

Lightbulb

Actually Nightly has been at 7.0a1 for a little while now; anyway about:permissions is basically a way to edit permissions.sqlite, and Immunization of Firefox does indeed add entries to permissions.sqlite, to block a couple hundred domains from setting cookies and about 15000 domains from showing images, installing extensions, and showing popups.

What I personally enjoy doing is regularly *deleting* permissions.sqlite and putting this file into my Firefox profile (saved as hostperm.1): http://pgl.yoyo.org/as/serverlist.ph...type=plaintext

Then I start up Firefox so it automatically converts that to permissions.sqlite, and then I close it and run Immunization again to put all of Spybot's entries back.

Mozilla Aurora (6.0a2) already includes about:permissions.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Josa01 View Post
    Mozilla Aurora (6.0a2) already includes about:permissions.
    ok, I just misunderstood your post to mean that so far the feature was only in Nightly and that you still thought its version number had not been incremented to 7

I'm interested to see your Bugzilla post, but I think that permissions.sqlite (and hostperm.1 and cookperm.txt before that) was originally meant to have a few user-supplied entries, rather than a huge number of entries added programmatically.