Thread: HOSTS and dialing-in

Question HOSTS and dialing-in

my hosts-file of about 300 KB contains, what Spybot had written into, and worked fine, even with my own additions, until due to bad sectors I had to mirror my whole system unto a new harddisk and repair a few things.

I have windows 2000, I have checked it for viruses with an uptodate version of antivir, the actual version of zonealarm, and neither spybot nor hijackthis have found anything.

As long as I deactivate hosts by renaming, I can log in to the internet without any trouble. As soon as I reactivate hosts and dial-in via an analog modem, my system freezes for several minutes. The message on dialing in, that the computer is going to be registered in the network last very long. When I am finally connected, I can acces the internet, but a bit slower than normal. When I deconnect, the computer freezes again for some minutes.

The hosts file is not locked, neither in spybot nor in zonealarm, I am using a newer version, not the one with the bug, that locks hosts without showing it.

Why is this, anybody any idea?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

From Bleeping Computer Tutorials:

NOTE: It is important to note that there have been complaints of system slowdowns when using a large hosts file. This is usually fixed by turning off and disabling the DNS Client in your Services control panel under Administrative Tools. The DNS client caches previous DNS requests in memory to supposedly speed this process up, but it also reads the entire HOSTS file into that cache as well which can cause a slowdown. This service is unnecessary and can be disabled.
    ps: I have never tried this.

pps: I personally prefer the default font for readability.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thumbs up

Thanks very much. That was exactly my problem and I have fixed it.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

You're welcome, but I still prefer the default font.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.