Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Malware or Virus? Can't do web searches (dds included)

Computer seems fine now. All symptoms are gone but I can surf the web and do searches. I see that that ESET identified a few potential problems, though. These have not yet been removed...

ESETSmartInstaller@High as CAB hook log:
    OnlineScanner.ocx - registred OK
    # version=7
    # IEXPLORE.EXE=8.00.6001.18702 (longhorn_ie8_rtm(wmbla).090308-0339)
    # OnlineScanner.ocx=1.0.0.6528
    # api_version=3.0.2
    # EOSSerial=d3864d71810bdc4281281f9ff218de26
    # end=finished
    # remove_checked=false
    # archives_checked=true
    # unwanted_checked=true
    # unsafe_checked=true
    # antistealth_checked=true
    # utc_time=2011-07-09 07:44:43
    # local_time=2011-07-09 02:44:43 (-0600, Central Daylight Time)
    # country="United States"
    # lang=1033
    # osver=5.1.2600 NT Service Pack 3
    # compatibility_mode=512 16777215 100 0 70572343 70572343 0 0
    # compatibility_mode=6143 16777215 0 0 0 0 0 0
    # compatibility_mode=8192 67108863 100 0 0 0 0 0
    # compatibility_mode=9217 16776869 100 77 27076286 30309558 0 0
    # scanned=199153
    # found=3
    # cleaned=0
    # scan_time=13451
    C:\Program Files\BackWeb\BackWeb Client\6.2.3.66\Program\runner.exe probably a variant of Win32/Agent.CBFNBEO trojan (unable to clean) 00000000000000000000000000000000 I
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\rurq\rurqd\vocabulary Win32/TrojanDownloader.TSUpdate.J trojan (unable to clean) 00000000000000000000000000000000 I
    C:\Program Files\Updates from HP\137903\Program\BackWeb-137903.exe probably a variant of Win32/Agent.CBFNBEO trojan (unable to clean) 00000000000000000000000000000000 I

Emeritus

These two look to be False Positives:

C:\Program Files\BackWeb\BackWeb Client\6.2.3.66\Program\runner.exe probably a variant of Win32/Agent.CBFNBEO trojan (unable to clean)
    C:\Program Files\Updates from HP\137903\Program\BackWeb-137903.exe probably a variant of Win32/Agent.CBFNBEO trojan (unable to clean)

So we shouldn't have to worry about them.

Delete the following folder, if found:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\rurq\rurqd\vocabulary
    Malware Removal University Master
    Member of ASAP & UNITE

Deleted file C:\Program Files\Common Files\rurq\rurqd\vocabulary.

Everything seems fine and the computer is running as it used to .

Any further diagnostics you want to do?

Thanks again for all your help.

Emeritus

No further diagnostics needed.

If there are no more problems, then you're good to go.

You can delete the following off of your computer:

DDS.scr
    The two DDS Logs
    GMER.zip
    GMER.exe
    RKUnhookerLE.exe
    TDSSKiller.exe
    The TDSSKiller Log
    Rootkitrevealer.zip
    Rootkitrevealer.exe
    The Rootkitrevealer Log

Empty your Recycle Bin.

Your version of SpywareBlaster is out of date. The latest version is 4.4

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

Before installing 4.4, open up SpywareBlaster and click Disable All Protection (at the bottom of the screen). Then uninstall SpywareBlaster 4.3 using Add/Remove Programs, then install 4.4. Be sure to check for updates and enable all protection once 4.4 is installed.

Please take the time to read my All Clean Post.

Please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:

This is a good time to clear your existing system restore points and establish a new clean restore point

• Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore
    • Select Create a restore point, and Ok it.
    • Next, go to Start > Run and type in cleanmgr
    • Make sure the C:\ drive is selected and click OK. If your computer's Hard Drive is not located on C:, change it to the correct drive letter then click OK.
    • Select the More options tab
    • Choose the option to clean up system restore and OK it.
    • This will remove all restore points except the new one you just created.

Clearing your restore points is not something you should do on a regular basis. Normally, this process only needs to be done after clearing out an infestation of malware.

Make your Internet Explorer more secure This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    1. From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    2. Click once on the Security tab
    3. Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    4. Click once on the Custom Level button.
      • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
      • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
      • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
      • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
      • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
      • Change the Navigate sub frames across different domains to Prompt
    5. When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
    6. If it asks you if you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    7. Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

Set correct settings for files that should be hidden in Windows XP
    • Click Start > My Computer > Tools menu (at top of page) > Folder Options > View tab.
    • Under "Hidden files and folders" if necessary select Do not show hidden files and folders.
    • If unchecked please checkHide protected operating system files (Recommended)
    • If necessary check "Display content of system folders"
    • If necessary Uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types.
    • Click OK

• Use An Antivirus Software and Keep It Updated - It is very important that your computer has an antivirus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future. It is imperative that you update your antivirus software at least once a day. If you do not update your antivirus software, then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.
    • Visit Microsoft's Update Site Frequently It is important that you visit Microsoft Updates regularly. This will ensure your computer has the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.
    • Use the hosts file: Every version of windows has a hosts file as part of them. In a very basic sense, they are used to locate web pages. We can customize a hosts file so that it blocks certain web pages. However, it can slow down certain computers. This is why using a hosts file is optional. Download mvps hosts file Make sure you read the instructions on how to install the hosts file. There is a good tutorial HERE If you decide to download the hosts file, the slowdown problems can usually be avoided by following these steps:
      1. Click the start button on the task bar at the bottom of your screen
      2. Click run
      3. In the dialog box, type services.msc
      4. hit enter, then locate dns client
      5. Highlight it, then doubleclick it.
      6. On the dropdown box, change the setting from automatic to manual.
      7. Click ok..
    • Use an alternative instant messenger program.Trillian and Miranda IM These are Malware free Instant Messenger programs which allow you to connect to multiple IM services in one program! (AOL, Yahoo, ICQ, IRC, MSN)
    • Please read Tony Klein's excellent article: How I got Infected in the First Place
    • Please read Understanding Spyware, Browser Hijackers, and Dialers
    • Please read Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet
    • If you are using Internet Explorer, please consider using an alternate browser: Mozilla's Firefox or
      Opera.
      If you decide to use either FireFox or Opera, it is very important that you keep them up to date and check frequently for updates of the browser of your choice.
    • Update all these programs regularly Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.

Here's a good website to read about Malware prevention:

http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/m...revention.html

If your computer is running slow, click here for instructions on how to help speed up your computer.

Good luck!

Please reply one last time so that I know you have read my post and this thread can be closed.
    Member of ASAP & UNITE

Thanks so much! I will follow your last instructions and my issue seems to be fully resolved.

Would you recommend I run the Rootkit Revealer or TDSSKiller on a regular basis? I ask because they seemed to identify a virus that nothing else had previously identified.

Are there any of these tools you would suggest I use on a weekly/monthly basis? I will continue to use MalwareBytes, Zone Alarm, and the other malware tools on a regular basis... I am referring to tools such as Rootkit Revealer, TDSSKiller, ESET, or the others.

Thanks again for all your guidance!

Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by sarama711 View Post
    Would you recommend I run the Rootkit Revealer or TDSSKiller on a regular basis? I ask because they seemed to identify a virus that nothing else had previously identified.

Are there any of these tools you would suggest I use on a weekly/monthly basis? I will continue to use MalwareBytes, Zone Alarm, and the other malware tools on a regular basis... I am referring to tools such as Rootkit Revealer, TDSSKiller, ESET, or the others.
    Tools such as RootKit Revealer and TDSSKiller are specialized tools and don't need to be run on a regular basis. They should only be ran when requested by a helper such as myself.

It's good that you'll be using MalwareBytes' and Zone Alarm on weekly/regular basis, be sure to keep them updated at all times. As for ESET, you can run it probably once a month to see if it finds anything that the others may have missed.
    Member of ASAP & UNITE

Will do. Thanks again and you may close this thread.

Emeritus

You're welcome and I'm glad I was able to help you out.

Good luck and safe surfing!

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could
    help.

Note: If it has been three days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting
    you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be
    reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include
    a fresh DDS log and a link to your previous thread.

If it has been less than three days since your last response and you need the thread
    re-opened, please send me or your helper a private message (pm). A valid, working link to
    the closed topic is required.
    Member of ASAP & UNITE