Thread: Spybot 2.0 Beta Hosts file

Default Spybot 2.0 Beta Hosts file

First, I'd like to provide a suggestion.

I'd like for Spybot 2.0 to handle the HOSTS file as follows.

To decrease the HOSTS file size, no comments should be added to the HOSTS file. I haven't checked whether or not version 2.0 does it so, but version 1.46 does it, so I assume version 2.0 does it as well.

Secondly, I'd like for Spybot to allow to have the HOSTS file mapping to 0.0.0.0 as well, and not only 127.0.0.1.

Third, I'd like for the HOSTS file to have 9 entries (9 domains) (it's a limitation) following either 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0, depending on which IP the user defines in Spybot.

Example:

Code:
    0.0.0.0 domain1 domain2 domain3 domain4 domain5 domain6 domain7 domain8 domain9
    My other suggestion is also about the HOSTS file.

I'd like to see an option in Spybot 2.0 to allow the user to add third-party sources to include in the HOSTS file. The hability to remove duplicate entries and comments as well.

The sources could be URLs and/or local files, and the files would be in *.zip format and/or *.txt. They may also include sources in a non-HOSTS file format.

An option to schedule updates for these files and to update the HOSTS file would be welcome.

I don't know if I can publicly show which lists/files I'm having in mind, but if you'd like to PM you, so that you can take a look at them, say it and I'll PM it to you.

Considering that such a HOSTS file would increase a lot in size, Spybot should recommend to disable DNS Client service.

I'm aware that there are free solutions out there, but not all (most likely none!) would be digitally signed, and therefore they all would be blocked execution with certain security policies in place... ;D

And, if Spybot works with the HOSTS file, then why not enhance what it does?

My other suggestion may be an alternate solution to the HOSTS file, handled by Spybot itself, and where we could use wildcards?
    Last edited by m00nbl00d; 2011-07-08 at 04:43.

Lightbulb

Basically you're asking Spybot to duplicate the functionality of HostsMan, which isn't a bad idea; also, changing the IP address used is possible for the current stable version with a Registry entry: http://wiki.spybot.info/index.php/Re...s#HostsBlockIP

It may also be possible to do that with Spybot 2 Beta 2, but I don't know how yet.

Quote Originally Posted by lewisje View Post
    Basically you're asking Spybot to duplicate the functionality of HostsMan, which isn't a bad idea; also, changing the IP address used is possible for the current stable version with a Registry entry: http://wiki.spybot.info/index.php/Re...s#HostsBlockIP
    Yes, correct. I was thinking of HostsMan, but since there may be others I'm not familiar with, I didn't want to be unfair. lol

One of the reasons I'd like Spybot to do it is simply the fact that Spybot does work with the Hosts file and is a digitally signed application.

Thanks for that link.

Lightbulb

I just got an idea...I wonder whether the 192.175.48.1 IP address might work even better; it's used for the IANA blackhole server prisoner.iana.org: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ackhole_server

Quote Originally Posted by lewisje View Post
    I just got an idea...I wonder whether the 192.175.48.1 IP address might work even better; it's used for the IANA blackhole server prisoner.iana.org: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ackhole_server
    I don't see any problems, but it may not be reserved to private use in the future.

I guess it depends on what the user wants. But, Spybot should only come with two "default" values: 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0. Depending on what the user wants.

If the user wishes to map to other IP, it would be as a third option, they could manually enter, IMO.

By the way, something I forgot to mention, is that the sources for the hosts file could be also in hosts file format or other format. Spybot would simply grab the domains and FQDNs, rejecting any garbage like comments, IPs, etc.