Thread: Mouse causes automatic file delete action

Cool Mouse causes automatic file delete action

A 2003 Compaq laptop using XP Pro SP3 with all updates installed generates an automatic delete action whenever the mouse selector pointer rests on a file or folder icon. Once the delete command has been initiated windows asks for the delete action to be confirmed but when either the "Yes" or the "No" button is selected the window will not go away. If "Yes" is selected the file is deleted however. What is going on? Malware or hardware failure? Problem remains after using Compaq supplied System Restore discs which supposedly reformat the C: drive and reload XP. Spybot has not been tried: would that be a good option?
    Can anyone help?

Hello rcjgtoo,
    Quote Originally Posted by rcjgtoo View Post
    A 2003 Compaq laptop using XP Pro SP3 with all updates installed generates an automatic delete action whenever the mouse selector pointer rests on a file or folder icon. Once the delete command has been initiated windows asks for the delete action to be confirmed but when either the "Yes" or the "No" button is selected the window will not go away. If "Yes" is selected the file is deleted however. What is going on? Malware or hardware failure?
    At this time it sounds like a hardware issue, was the laptop in normal use for the past 8 years and did you update the mouse drivers?
    Quote Originally Posted by rcjgtoo View Post
    Problem remains after using Compaq supplied System Restore discs which supposedly reformat the C: drive and reload XP.
    I'm not familiar with Compaq's terminology, System Restore disc or System Recovery DVD?

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Smile Updating BIOS stopps automatic mouse delete action

The discs supplied by Compaq are titled "System Restore Quick Recovery CD"
    After I sought your help a relative suggested updating the BIOS. This a.m. I figured out that the BIOS update solved the problem. Thank you for your quick response. At the moment I'm back in business.
    rcjgtoo

Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016