Thread: Credit card numbers stolen?

Default Credit card numbers stolen?

Some people who have ordered tools online have found unauthorized charges on the credit cards they used for the online orders and think that the credit card numbers were compromised by the online orders.
    I suppose that the web hosting or company servers could have had hackware or backdoors on them that could have sent the credit card information straight to the criminals without anyone at the online merchant being involved in making the fraudulent charges?
    Apparently the server used by one of the merchants was running something called "IIS6"

Hello Wakefield,
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakefield View Post
    Some people who have ordered tools online have found unauthorized charges on the credit cards they used for the online orders and think that the credit card numbers were compromised by the online orders.
    What kind of tools? Do the sites have a good reputation?
    I suppose that the web hosting or company servers could have had hackware or backdoors on them that could have sent the credit card information straight to the criminals without anyone at the online merchant being involved in making the fraudulent charges?
    There could be various scenarios, one being that the user's own computer is infected.

Brian Krebs has written several interesting articles about banking Trojans. http://krebsonsecurity.com/tag/zeus-trojan/
    Apparently the server used by one of the merchants was running something called "IIS6"
    "Internet Information Services (IIS) for Windows® Server is a flexible, secure and easy-to-manage Web server for hosting anything on the Web."
    http://www.iis.net/overview

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

The business which was first mentioned by customers who had trouble with charges appearing on their credit cards was Royal Supply which is a dealer for Wright Tool (and some other brands). Wright Tool has a factory in Ohio (I think Royal Supply is also in Ohio) and manufactures such things as forged steel ratchets and sockets,wrenches. Has a fan club who believe that the tools are comparable in quality to Snap on. Wright does not have as many different kinds of automotive tools as Snap-on (nobody else does?) and I think is considered to be more of a supplier of industrial tools rather than automotive tools.
    The topic came up in a thread on a tools forum that is part of
    http://www.garagejournal.com another source of tools lore is
    http://home.comcast.net/~alloy-artifacts/index.html
    I have some of both brands and believe them to be good tools. My understanding is that the credit card problem has been reported to the companies and banks involved.
    Last edited by Wakefield; 2011-08-05 at 01:02.

My understanding is that the credit card problem has been reported to the companies and banks involved.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Default It Happened to me in google playing cityville

i was sent an anonymous msg that asked me if i wanted the service and when i typed "NO" it must of being configured as a fake and went through anyway....i got hit 2 times 20 bucks each time on my cell phone bill....i need to get the iphone protection up and running

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by ConfuciusX8 View Post
    i was sent an anonymous msg that asked me if i wanted the service and when i typed "NO" it must of being configured as a fake and went through anyway....i got hit 2 times 20 bucks each time on my cell phone bill....i need to get the iphone protection up and running
    I am not happy that that happened to you