Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spybot-S&D 2.0 Beta 3 release thread

Default S&D Beta 3 Fail on XP SP 3

Installed on my machine and during the install the software repeatedly requested I insert a CD. I also received repeated memory exceptions during the install and after it was installed. Finally, the Chrome extension install failed. If you need any specific information, let me know and I'll reinstall it and capture the exact wording of the errors I received..
    Last edited by PurpleSage; 2011-08-08 at 18:47. Reason: Fixed typo.

Default "There Is No Disk in the Drive. Please Insert a Disk into Drive \Device\harddisk\Dr1"

Anybody know how to solve that issue? Imagegeek? Dialog box is entitled "SDImmunize.exe" and gives options cancel, try again, and continue. Each button causes it to reappear five or six times with error sound
    Last edited by Gabezmail; 2011-08-10 at 13:35.

What's your OS? When does this happen? What version of Spybot do you have? Have you tried to uninstall Spybot? If so, and it don't make any difference, try to uninstall in safe mode. Remember: The latest version of Spybot is 2.0.5, also known as Beta 3.
    Last edited by imageek; 2011-08-10 at 15:44.

I installed Spybot 2.0 beta 3 on my mom's computer last night to give it a try. The scan ran faster than Spybot 1.6.2, which is currently installed, but after a system reboot, the Spybot 2 cleaner started automatically and stopped responding to the system. So, I uninstalled it for the time being and will try it again later.

After uninstalling it, I ran "CCleaner" to look at the registry and found some things left behind by the Spybot uninstaller.

Attached is a screenshot.

Peace...

Also, will running Spybot 1.6.2 TeaTimer interfere with Spybot 2.0 beta's resident protection?

Thanks!

Peace...

Just to let everyone know, this is still a beta. You can't expect it to be bug-free. (No offence tomdkat, you didn't complain, I know..)

Quote Originally Posted by tomdkat View Post
    Also, will running Spybot 1.6.2 TeaTimer interfere with Spybot 2.0 beta's resident protection?
    According to http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...62619&p=404003 no (if you're not using the paranoid mode), though I haven't tried it myself.

Default Spybot 2 beta is Junk Bloatware!

What a terrible disappointment the whole concept of Spybot 2 is! The file is huge over 100mb., far larger than original Spybot. It's a huge memory hog, an incredible CPU hog...:100% of CPU! It's just correctly called bloatware, adding endless *new* features; that aren't adequately explained and difficult to control; even updating is very difficult. In fact, everything about this program works very slowly; and is just a giant hog of one's computer resources, for questionable services that aren't really spelled out.

It's a true disaster, that I got rid of as soon as I saw how bad its whole concept is. What is it; AV, anti-malware, anti-spyware, all three? What precisely do the new services mean, and exactly how do they work; the new protection always seemed to be off, or partly on...

Just stay away from this Bloatware waste-of-time!

I must agree with firefox007, the new SBS&D is shaping up to be another Norton System Works; i.e. a suite of mostly useless (or at least unnecessary and infrequently used) applications that tend to clog up the system, and wreak havoc when uninstalled.

I sincerely hope that the developers opt for a "Lite" version that does what the original SBS&D gained its well-deserved reputation for; malware removal.

Personally, I do not need all the extra bells-and-whistles, just provide a competent malware scanner/removal tool, please.

Let them develop the program properly before we come to a conclusion. There are many companies that are dropping features in the program because it's taking too much CPU/memory or it's unnecessary/irrelevant. I am sure the download file and the size of the program will decrease when the final version will be release, however, I'm not sure if they are dropping a/some of their feature(s).